No Soliciting.

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by 1BadHawk, Sep 12, 2005.

1. 1BadHawk

1BadHawk LawnSite Member

Last week I had a delivery person, deliver some flyers (cuz thats what they do) to a new neighborhood. Apparently the weather was calling for storms, and since the buy didnt want to lose the flyers to the weather he put them IN the mail boxes. I know, I know.... Not my idea.

Anyhow, needless to say one guy called the post master and complained. Hence I got a call. No big deal, situation has been diffused.

My concern here is, the entrance(s), two of them, to this community, has a sign that says, no soliciting. Ive always taken this to mean, no door to door sales people trying to sell you something. Does, passing out door hangars count? And whats the possible penalty for this? Is it breaking the law or is posting a sign just simply a polite way of asking?

I dont want to cause waves, just want to better undersatand these things to possibly avoid future altercations.

Thanks

2. Turf Dancer

Turf Dancer LawnSite Senior Member

It depends on the way the laws are interpreted in each area. I was told that I was in violation of that law once because I went to a commercial property to find out who to contact for bids. Well I found out later that it is not soliciting if you are looking for information. It is a vague law depending on where you are at. I was told that they can't do anything about asking for information or me leaving information on a property in the areas I am in. Check your local area police agencies, or sheriffs office civil division.