No Soliciting!

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by cessnasovereign, Apr 30, 2006.

1. cessnasovereign

cessnasovereign LawnSite Senior Member

Curious as to what you guys do in neighborhoods that have "No Soliciting" signs at the entrances? About 99% of the nice neighborhoods around here have them. Is it technically illegal to solicit in the neighborhoods?

Also would that include just placing a flier on the door or paper box?

Also on a side note, I picked up a new contract today! Was getting gas and a guy came up, asked if I cut grass for money, then told me to come over so I went and now he's a weekly regular for $40 plus I'll be killing some grass in the beds (any suggestions for killing the grass by the way?) then putting some mulch down for $125. Mulch goes for about $20-25 a truckload here.

Also, I've been thinking about installing a winch in the bed of my truck for pulling up bushes, since it's kinda redneck to hook up a chain and floor it :laugh: in a customers front yard. So I have a 1500 lb winch that I was gonna put on the ATV but I might use for pulling up small bushes.. Anyone else do this?

2. Shawninfl

Shawninfl LawnSite Member

I Have Also Ran Into The No Soliciting Neighborhoods. You Can Still Hang Door Hangers In Them To Help Business, You Just Can't Try To Talk And Sell While Doing So. I Just Hang The Doorhangers And Wait For The Call To Talk Business. If Anyone Asks You, Just Tell Them It Is Just A Flyer Telling About Your Lawn Care. Another Hint Is To Go To The Sales Offices And Drop Off A Couple Door Hangers And Business Cards. Then Check Back With Them Periodically...

3. sheshovel

sheshovel LawnSite Fanatic

No Soliciting means just that..No Soliciting....some of those places have clubhouses that they will let you hang a flier on their bulletin board.

4. cessnasovereign

Yeah but what I'm wondering is if that's just a suggestion or a law. I used to live in a neighborhood like that and it wouldn't have bothered me for people to come to my door. And I'm sure not everyone in those neighborhoods would be mad if someone put a flier on their doorstep. But I don't want to do it and possibly get in legal trouble.

5. bobcat9957

bobcat9957 LawnSite Member

If you want to get into the neighborhood and think you have a good chance why not mail the fliers to each house on the street?

6. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

I'm not one to advise you on how to break the law, but truth be known I haven't a clue as to whether there exists a law or not, sign or not... Now the way I used to handle it, if I got a complaint then I would ask them if I could have their address because to write it down so I would never leave another flyer on their property (and do write it down and do make sure) and that would usually fix it. Yes sir, yes ma'am, you understand and you are sorry you are very new and did not know and you promise not to do it no more (and don't, for real write it down someplace you will know even years later ok).

Worse comes to and the entire hood gets on you, say you are sorry that you did not know it was illegal and ok whatever just promise you will never do it again (and then don't).

And that's if you get a complaint but kinda take it easy, what I mean is:
    - Do one hood at a time.
    - Once a hood is done, leave it alone for a good year: Move on to the next.
    Be cool

7. cessnasovereign

The problem with mailing is, we're talking hundreds of houses. It's not one particular neighborhood or one street, it's a bunch of them.

Good tips.

Any suggestions on grass killing or winch use? :waving:

8. thelawnkid

thelawnkid LawnSite Member

ruondup quick pro works well and will give you quick results as for the winch I don't know if 1500 lbs would be big enough to pull a good sized bush.

9. E&MLandscapeServices

E&MLandscapeServices LawnSite Member

My neighborhood is 'No soliciting'. It means what it says: No selling, no hawking, no announcing your new product or service, no introducing yourself as a rep for so-and-so company, no marketing, no 'religious' introductions (Jehovah's Witnesses, et al). The first offense causes the person or business to be sent a 'trespass notice' banning them/their employees from our subdivision for any purpose. The second offense results in criminal charges for trespassing. Our homeowners association also includes a list of all 'No soliciting' offenders and asks the residents to not do business with that company. Just a thought... you may want to stick to direct mail (post cards work better than letters). Also, ask if you can include an advertisement in the Homeowners Association Newsletter (that works better than mailers).

10. cessnasovereign

Damn.. that sucks.. I didn't think about them getting for trespassing.. :cry: