No Soliciting

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Wells, Dec 16, 2004.

1. Wells

Wells LawnSite Member
    from SLC UT

No Soliciting.......When you're passing out fliers and come across that sign on the door do you skip the house or do you leave you flier anyway?

Do you take no soliciting to mean don't knock on the door and bother us but fliers and door-hangers are alright, or don't knock on the door and don't leave any materials?

I generally won't leave a flier if I see the no soliciting sign but I just want to get a better understanding of what everyone else does and why.

2. 1MajorTom

1MajorTom Senior Moderator

When I went to the library and got a reference book of all addresses I wanted to target, some names and addresses were detonated with astericks. One asterick meant "no mail", two astericks meant "no phone calls", and three astericks meant that they wanted neither. I took it seriously, and decided I better not target these.
    So to answer your question, yes I would pass anyone by that had a "no solicitation" sign on their gate. I would not leave a flier.

3. mcclureandson

mcclureandson LawnSite Member

But what about an entire neighborhood? I've seen several in my area with small "no solicitation" signs at the entry...

4. lawnman_scott

lawnman_scott LawnSite Fanatic

Then dont get caught soliciting.

5. out4now

out4now LawnSite Bronze Member
    from AZ

Wouldn't do it. If they see you working and are interested they will approach you or ask their neighbor before they give much mind to a flyer anyway. Think of it from their perspective, would you want to come home to a bunch of flyers on your front door when you put out a sign to prevent that? Let word of mouth build advertising up for you.

6. mtdman

mtdman LawnSite Gold Member

Skip the no soliciting houses.

7. SCAG POWER

SCAG POWER LawnSite Senior Member

From a business stand point if you were cold calling an office park looking for business, you would be nuts to pass that sign up. Here is the reason back when i sold copiers door to door these signs represented a person that could be sold.I had several customers who use to have those signs on there business.

For neighborhoods , i would go to the tax records and look up only the address that you want to target, this way you can pick and choose who you want as customers, then after your mailing drive through , with your equipment during the evening hours and see if you can get any on interested payup :gunsfirin

8. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

I would respect their wish and move on.

9. Garden Panzer

Garden Panzer Banned
    from Seattle

no way...
    you'll get nuthin' in life if you don't ask... bang on the door, hand 'em a flyer, and make them sign a contract...if they complain threaten them. flyer away, I say...

10. tonygreek

tonygreek LawnSite Gold Member

be sure that the town allows door-to-door anything. my suburb of dayton does not allow non-political yard signs of any form. the homeowner is fined if one appears.

as for flyers, those are banned as well. if you leave a flyer, you will be warned by the police. if you drop one off at another house, you are arrested. this also applies to door-to-door sales/prospecting, with a twist: you must pick up a list of "do not disturb" residents. if you knock, and the police are notified, you are warned. do it again, and you are arrested. i see guys in the crime section just about every week listed for these arrests.