1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

No spark - any ideas??

Discussion in 'Hustler Turf Equip (Archived)' started by BEAR5614, Apr 1, 2012.

1. BEAR5614

BEAR5614 LawnSite Member

Tried to start mower today. It's been sitting all winter. No spark. Engine will spin but not fire. Started and ran perfectly when I shut it off last fall.

Checked the seat switch - still won't fire, even when seat safety wires are bridged.

This is a 927251 Hustler mini Z, w/24 HP Honda [GXV 670], w/52" deck, purchased in 2006, w/300 hours.

The Regulator/Rectifier is the 20 A type.
    I checked the 3 fuses on the right firewall, and they look ok.

Any ideas???????

Thanks in advance,
  2. mowerconsultant

mowerconsultant LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Syracuse, NY

You need to remove the coils and clean them of rust, clean and sand the mounting points and flywheel magnets also.
    There is a diode harness between the 2 coils also that needs to be checked.

3. mtmower

mtmower LawnSite Bronze Member

Coils on the 24 Honda are not uncommon. I replace three in 1000 hrs. Never had both dump at the same time though. Fairly easy r&r. I would also recommend removing the upper engine cover every season and blow dirt and grass clippings from the engine fins. Tight quarters in there and they will start plugging up which will eventually cause overheating and poss head/gasket problems. Good torque and power though for it's rating.