1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

No spark, checklist

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by Kkane97, Jul 6, 2012.

1. Kkane97

Kkane97 LawnSite Senior Member

I have a 3.5 tecumseh engine model: H35-45614S and as of now after rebuilding the engine, I have no spark for the engine. What would some of you guys start with when checking for no spark? ie. grounded wires ect? Any help would be great pics available upon request

Here is the engine after polishing the whole thing down to bare metal, priming and painting with rustoleum engine enamel just no spark :cry:

(air filter housing and carb havent been painted yet [brand new])

2. Patriot Services

Patriot Services LawnSite Fanatic

That's a purty paperweight. Simple ignition system. Make sure there isn't a grounding wire. Check the coil gap. Inspect the magnet. Did it run before you tore it down?
    Posted via Mobile Device
  3. Kkane97

It ran once before I tore it down... my their is preignition from starting fluid was the culprit of the cracked piston so that got replaced along with the necessary things...piston rings ect
    Posted via Mobile Device
  4. Kkane97

I have had the worst luck finding a manual on this motor... but I imagine that the majority of small engines use the same gap, what should the gap be?
    Posted via Mobile Device
  5. pugs

pugs LawnSite Gold Member

Step 1: disconnect ground wire and check for spark with a spark tester. If no spark proceed to step 2.

Step 2: Replace coil.
  6. dutch1

dutch1 LawnSite Silver Member
    from Jayhawk

Is it possible that this is a points/condensor ignition? If it is, you may want to consider replacing both since you're rebuilding it. Points gap is .020". If the coil is inside the flywheel, to gap the coil properly requires a Tecumseh tool to do so. On the other hand, it's possible my memory isn't too good.
  7. Kkane97

Thanks guys for the help, I just ran out side and snagged a coil from anther tecumseh engine in my yard and put that on there, I just made a thread for the rebuild, and all my problems with it here Thread

my problemo now is compression :dizzy: