no spark Kaw FC540V

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by jvff252, Sep 20, 2006.

1. jvff252

jvff252 LawnSite Member

New to all this, so assume I know nothing and you'll be on the right track. Have a Kaw FC540V walk-behind. Had been running fine, but now I am not getting spark. Hint of a possible problem- it started to require me to "bump" the stater swtch before it would hook up and turn over to start. But it usually started fine after that. Now, I have pulled the plug and grounded to the block with no spark. Where do I start and what do I look for? Thanks in advance!:dizzy:

Jeff

2. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

Remove the harness kill wire from the control unit but leave the wire to the coil hooked up then check again, This will eliminate any safety switches. If still no spark check the components as below with a multimeter.

[​IMG]

3. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

Just to mention, Perform the coil test with the spark plug connector removed as shown in the pic....

4. jvff252

jvff252 LawnSite Member

Tried the above and thought the coil was bad. Bought a new one, but still no spark. Tried replacing the ignitor coil also to no avail. Went back and retested the old coil and found a "user error" on testing it the first time!, think it was o.k. to begin with. Live and learn. Anyway, new ignitor coil, new ignition coil and still no spark. Where should I check or test next?? Please help, grass growing about a foot a day around here!! Thanks in advance.