No Spark on old Ariens 7hp

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by wilsonbh, Jul 19, 2008.

1. wilsonbh

wilsonbh LawnSite Member

I bought an old Ariens 7hp tiller with a Tecumse (sp?) engine. I've tried to start it but it won't hit. I pulled the plug and tried to start the motor, no spark!

Any advice on my next step here would be greatly appreciated.

Billy

2. wilsonbh

wilsonbh LawnSite Member

OK, it's a Tecumseh engine. The original ower said the engine was rebuilt but it has sat in a garage for 2 years. It turns over nicely and the oil looks new. I don't think any spark is being made. How can I next trouble shoot this issue?

Billy

3. Phil G

Phil G LawnSite Senior Member

When you were trying for a spark did you remove the plug and then reconnect it to the lead to see if the plug sparked? Best way is to check it on the end of a bare HT lead, suppressor off.
    If there's no spark on the end of the HT lead check the low tension cut out wire. This is usually near the control lever, if you can access it disconnect the low tension wire and make sure it does not earth out. Then spin the engine again to check for a spark.
    If this fails remove the blower housing and have a visual check for any loose/damaged wires. There is every chance, if everything else is ok, the coil could be at fault. Unless you engine is so old it has points/condenser fitted. They are usually fitted behind the flywheel. Now what you could do is fit an ignition converter that does away with the points. They are straightforward to fit. Check your local prices, on sale here in the UK for about $10. Worth fitting.

Goos luck Phil:usflag:

4. wilsonbh

wilsonbh LawnSite Member

That's sorta what I did. I pulled the plug and with the wire attached, pulled the starter cord and observed if there was a spark. I didn't see one.

I bought this tiller from a lady that said the engine was completely rebuilt about 2 years ago. She said she ran the thing on two occasions before it went into the garage for storage. Hadn't been started for almost 2 years she said.

The machine is built like a tank. The engine should be easy to fix, whatever is wrong as it's so easy to reach any part of it. An advantage of being a tiller I suppose. Just hate to take it into a small engine repair shop and pay someone for something I should have caught.

Billy

5. olyman

olyman LawnSite Gold Member

wilson-----sounds like the condenser is moisturized--meaning--you need to remove the recoil housing, then the flywheel, and replace the points and condensor. when the condensoer is water soaked, it wont run, and while your in there, may as well replace the points also---ask the place when you get the points what the gap needs to be-----and if you dont understand what im saying, take it to a small shop to have the parts replaced---

6. wilsonbh

wilsonbh LawnSite Member

Good advice! I'm pretty handy in the mechanic dept and have done some major mechanic work on cars but these small engines are "greek" to me. If I could find a manual, I think I could do the points and condensor myself. Otherwise, off to the shop it goes.

7. Phil G

Have a look at one of these. No need for points or condencer and most can be fitted without removing the flywheel. When they first appeared, maybe in mid 80's I fitted hundreds. If the coil is ok, then it will always spark'
    Good luck

http://www.powerhousemuseum.com/aus...view_article&Section_id=1020&article_id=10024

http://www.texas820.com/texas820_014.htm

You should be able to get one for about $10. If no luck I will post you one foc.

atbPhil :)

8. wilsonbh

wilsonbh LawnSite Member

Can't find a manual, if you have one in electronic format, I could use it!

Thanks!!!

Billy

9. Phil G

Here's a parts list
    [http://www.cpdonline.com/692509.pdf
    Good luck Phil :)/COLOR]

10. Phil G

These are the units to replace points/condenser. Few minuets to fit. :)

[​IMG]

Not the Cigs

:)