NO spark on Stihl BR600

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by WJC, Oct 24, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. WJC

WJC LawnSite Senior Member

I have a BR600 that has no spark, just bought a new ignition coil and still no spark. I tried different airgaps from .008 up to .014 and nothing changed. The micro switch in the handle ohmed out good so I know it isnt that.
    I tried it with an adjustable spark tester also. I recently disassembled the whole blower and was using an impact gun to get the fan off the other end of the crankshaft, and I'm wondering if the shock may have damaged something inside the Ignition flywheel. Is there more than just magnets in the flywheel? Thanks for any help.

2. ricky86

ricky86 LawnSite Bronze Member

Are you sure you have no spark? Using an impact gun to remove the fanwheel guarantees a sheared flywheel key. But that would have no effect on the ign system creating a spark. It would be out of time for sure.
    Disconnect the grounding wires on the coil and test again. Key will have to be checked. Follow the valve adjustment procedures. That will give you the proper flywheel to module orientation. Best to remove the flywheel and look at it.

3. WJC

It absolutely has no spark. I've already checked it with kill wires off and had no spark. I'm completely baffled, unless the new coil is bad also.

4. Jeff in AL

Jeff in AL LawnSite Senior Member
    from Alabama

IF both kill leads are disconnected from the coil and ground tab, you have a new or known good plug and tester, then it can only be the coil.

There have been a "few" :rolleyes: issues with the 4282 coils. I have had brand new units out of the box with no fire. I have set up a unit up for a sale, the customer gets home and it won't start, coil took a dump. Seems to be a hit and miss problem with coils on the units as well as coils in stock. The issue has been resolved with Stihl, but it is just a matter of getting all the "bad" coils purged out.

As ricky86 said, you have most likely sheared the flywheel key by using an impact on the fan... IF it is sheared, you do not need to replace the flywheel, you can simply mark the location of the "key" on the flywheel in the cup of the flywheel. Set the flywheel back on the crankshaft and line up your "mark" with the keyway in the crankshaft and torque back down. The taper is what holds the flywheel to the crank, not the key. Or you can replace the flywheel.

Order up another 4282 400 1305 ignition coil and have the dealer file a warranty... They should be WELL aware if this problem! (provide them your Model and Serial of the blower as they will need to file a claim).

5. WJC

Thanks for the info. Yeah, I had already done the alignment thing with the flywheel because I had sheared it. I lapped the flywheel to the crank with lapping compound to make sure of a nice tight fit. I wasn't aware of the problem with bad coils, I'll see if the dealer will exchange it.

6. herler

herler LawnSite Fanatic

This reminds me why my spending another $500 just to have a spare BR600 might not be the worst idea I've had.

Because I've been down this road, too...

Best I can tell you from my own experience is those $5 spark plug testers with the light bulb are what I use, between those and a good spark plug... Same as with coils you can get a bad spark plug out of the box, but plug in that tester between the plug and the wire and then you have to be in the complete dark, at least I do, don't hurt yourself but in complete darkness give it some pulls and see if that bulb fires up at all.

7. WJC

I've tried multiple plugs just to be sure. And the tester I use is the old style made of phenolic material, has a clip to secure it to the engine and also has adjustable arc pins so you can change the gap. Very simple and reliable.

8. clipfert

clipfert LawnSite Member

Make sure the spark plug boot was not pulled off the spark plug wire. There's a spring wire that comes out of the boot and pierces the wire insulation to make the connection. Did this to mine and would not start from no spark.

9. WJC

Yeah, I've had that happen on my Kawi engine before, its not the problem on this blower though.

10. Jeff in AL

Jeff in AL LawnSite Senior Member
    from Alabama

If for some odd reason your Stihl Dealer isn't aware of the problem with the 4282 coil issues and give you a hard time or won't warranty it, ask for their Distributor's number and talk to them about it... I Think for NC it would be Mid Atlantic Stihl.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.