NO spark on Stihl BR600

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by WJC, Oct 24, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jeff in AL

Jeff in AL LawnSite Senior Member
    from Alabama

Seriously???

Pipe down there peanut, you just might learn something new here from us fellow shadetree mechanics and one "professional" mechanic!

Where are the moderators to delete these USELESS replys that some seem to continue to post that have no information contained?

2. Jeff in AL

from Alabama

MowerMedic77,

Welcome back!

Let's back up a step here...
    The "incoming signal" to the ignition coil would begin with the flywheel... Being that the ignition coil is fixed in place, and the flywheel actually spins to trigger the ignition coil, what does cam timing have to do with it? The ignition coil has NO idea and could careless about a piston, valves ect... It only takes orders from the flywheel...

One day I hope to maybe goto school on this stuff and learn all about it, then be a professional mechanic and who knows, maybe even own my own shop... A boy can dream...:rolleyes:

3. ricky86

ricky86 LawnSite Bronze Member

I think what MM means, as I do. There isn't a thing wrong with it producing spark.
    The reason it won't start is a timing issue and probably has enough spark to knock
    you on you're butt. Just a misdiagnosis. It makes no sense.

4. piston slapper

piston slapper LawnSite Platinum Member

I had that dream...and lived it for 10 years...it looked better in the brochure.....
    Id have traded it for a rich old lady that could cook....and didn't snore....or fart in her sleep..
    Keep dreamin the dream....

5. MowerMedic77

MowerMedic77 LawnSite Bronze Member

See that Ricky he's a smart one, he gets it...
    I was trying not to have a battle of wits with an unarmed person but here we go....
    Thank you shade tree Jeff for your warm albeit insincere welcome. I think further education for you is a great idea! Start with that GED and move onto some community college. Pickup a Popular Mechanics mag and find that card in the back for an online small engine class, who knows you might be able to get a job at a golf course or I know a go-kart track! I think that is just your speed tune-ups, oil changes and tire inflation. I say this because I doubt your ready for the pace and volume required to work in a real shop that would require you to diagnose and repair 10-12 pieces of equipment daily not just guess and throw parts at it praying every time you pull the rope "please start this time" I also doubt any busy dealer with well trained and highly payed techs will be happy having them stopping to hold your hand all day.
    I know I will be ready for the next faze of digital ignition electronic fuel managed[Oh yeah that's coming] emission compliant 2cycle and 4 mix equipment... will you?
    I have an idea.... maybe pop a squat under the old shade tree and wait for it to bare some knowledge fruit. Then when it ripens drops and bonks ya on the head... maybe then you will be ready.... but I doubt it....
    OP your in good hands with shade tree Jeff helping you, hopefully he can get ya back up and running before next summer or you run out of money!
    Thanks everyone this was fun but I got real life issues to take care of so until the next time I got nothing else going on.... see ya
    Posted via Mobile Device

6. Jeff in AL

from Alabama

Ohh, I must have misunderstood the OP then... See, I thought the OP stated several times that he had NO SPARK... IF it was "producing" spark I would think the OP would have said "I have a BR600 that has spark, but won't start", no?

7. piston slapper

piston slapper LawnSite Platinum Member

Them sparks can be illusive...try another sparkplug.....or another mechanic..

8. WJC

WJC LawnSite Senior Member

OK guys here we go. Got the new flywheel today, first thing I did was hold a screwdriver upto the magnets of the old flywheel and the new one. The magnets in the new one were atleast 5 times stronger then the old one. Installed the flywheel and checked for spark, nice blue spark. Now I know that the manual says to use the ZAT 4 tester, but I dont have one. Installed spark plug and fired right up. It runs like it did when it was new, in the process of putting it all back together, I found that the throttle was only opening maybe 2/3 for god knows how long, because since I've owned it I never checked throttle opening. Thanks to all who replied.

9. ricky86

ricky86 LawnSite Bronze Member

Well WJC, I don't think anyone will use an impact gun to remove the fanwheel.

10. WJC

WJC LawnSite Senior Member

I know I sure wont!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.