1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

No Spark

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by mrbear3800, May 22, 2005.

1. mrbear3800

mrbear3800 LawnSite Member

I have an old rotor tiller with a 5 hp briggs on it. I'm not sure of the year, its at least as old as the 1970's. The problem is, it has no spark. I took the engine cover off to check the coil for bad connections but nothing seems to be out of the ordinary. I noticed some wires that go under the fly wheel and from some of the other posts i've read on here, there's a points ignition under there. How the heck do you get the fly wheel off?? That may not even be the problem but i'd still like to know how. Is there a way to test the coil? Any thoughts?? Thanks.

2. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

Go to your local Briggs dealer and tell them you want a trigger coil kit to take the place of your points & condenser they will know what you want. This comes with instructions on how to mount it to your same coil,No need to pull the flywheel just snip the wires as close to the flywheel as possible and go tilling.
    This kit is only a couple dollars more than points & cond. and less hassle !

3. mrbear3800

About how much is that kit?? U still use the same coil with with this kit?? Any way to know if the coil is bad?? This thing has absolutely no spark but i did get a little jolt one time when i touched the wire when looking for spark. Not a big jolt but enough to be noticable. Thanks for the help!

4. Restrorob

I believe its in the 12.00 to 14.00 range,And you use the same coil,Its not likely the coil if you got a little jolt,There is a coil tester that plugs in the wall that I use,Just ask your dealer if he has a way to test it for you.

5. mrbear3800

There isn't any kind of generator under the fly-wheel where the points are that can go bad???

6. Restrorob

NO,There is only a set of points and Condenser under the flywheel inside a small type box with a little tin cover over them to keep dirt out.

When you remove the coil to install this kit make sure you reinstall it facing the same way you took it out,And adjust the coil air gap with any business card.

7. mrbear3800

Do i need to have the engine serial number for the shop where i buy the part? Can i just buy it on line?? Thanks for the help!

8. Restrorob

My dealer web has been acting up but I finally got on,The Briggs part number is 394970 I don't know if you can get it on line or not,I know Briggs only sells to dealers on line.

9. fixer67

fixer67 LawnSite Silver Member

This is a long URL but that is how it come out it is over 100 characters long so it may not copy right. Briggs now does sell parts online though Briggs Power Shop site.

http://www.briggspowershop.com/Brig...C811AF87B227343970D843A57F191B07C8EA62284B4E6

10. mrbear3800

I don't mean to sound doubting but how did you know what part number to tell me?? I didn't give you the part number for my engine. Or is that a part thats used on all kinds of briggs from that era?? I just don't want to order the wrong part.. Thanks!

The model # is 130902
    Type is# 0152-01
    Code # 76100600 which means its a 1976 i presume??