No spark

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by perky99, Oct 14, 2006.

1. perky99

perky99 LawnSite Member

Do magnetos go bad? This tecumseh TVS 90 has no spark at all. I pulled the plug and rotated by hand and not even a tingle, there is no stop or kill device in the circuit at all. How can you check these things? Thanks

2. khouse

khouse LawnSite Bronze Member

you need to post all the numbers to your engine. i believe most has points but offered an electronic coil (module) also. take your blower housing off and see it theres a wire going to the coil from under the flywheel.

3. perky99

perky99 LawnSite Member

The rest of the info I have is. Complete TVS90 46009A (C) 4129J its a 3.8 HP. There is a green wire coming out from behind there, but I thought it was a ground to the module. Thanks

4. khouse

that has an electronic module (coil)
    if all or any kill wires are not connected then it's the coil.
    you might just check and set the air gap using a credit card to make sure it doesn't have too much clearance

5. newz7151

newz7151 LawnSite Silver Member
    from Tejas

"credit card" ? business card.

6. khouse

business card
    my mistake.

7. khouse

when you said you didn't feel a tingle did you hold the plug wire in your hand?
    try removing the spark plug then holding it against the head to check. try to stay away from the plug hole so you don't cause a fire if theres raw fuel in the cylinder.

8. perky99

perky99 LawnSite Member

Yes I had pulled the plug and with a Phillips screw driver and grounding my hand to the head and spinning the flywheel as fast as I could I did,nt get even a tingle. Does age or is there a reason for these coils to go bad? Thanks

9. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

On this particular application it would most likely be age and the fact it gets hot and cold so many times in it's life span.

If you disconnected the green wire as khouse said and still have no spark then a replacement coil should solve your problem.

10. khouse

your pretty brave to check for spark through your body! did you try holding the spark plug to ground with the wire on it?