No Speak...

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by dantelawn, Jul 31, 2004.

1. dantelawn

dantelawn LawnSite Member
    from PA

Has anyone hire non-engish speaking pesticide applicator or one that has trouble with English? The work ethic of men from other countries seems to be so much better that the American guys we have hired. If they could pass the license test, I am still concerned about communication skills on the job w/ customers. Anyone had this experience??

2. Tscape

Tscape LawnSite Bronze Member

Hire Americans!

3. jajwrigh

jajwrigh LawnSite Bronze Member
    Male, from Martinsville, IN

Learn to speak Spanish and remember something about hiring them. Hiring mexicans to work for you is "domestic outsourcing" so don't complain about a crappy economy down the road. I want to be clear that I am NOT talking down upon Mexican guys but thats the reason our boys can't find work!

4. WeatherMan

WeatherMan LawnSite Senior Member

Amen on that Jajwrigh

5. DUSTYCEDAR

DUSTYCEDAR LawnSite Fanatic
    from PA

AMERICAN ONLY :D

6. grassyfras

grassyfras LawnSite Bronze Member

The reason our boys cant find work is there lazy because everything is handed to them. They deserve to not find work go poor and then have their families over time convince them of getting a better work ethic. Hire who works.

7. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

dantelawn

While agree 100% with the above Quote. There are certain Jobs that require the ability to not only speak but to read English on at least a technical level. Pesticide Application is one of those jobs. To hire and have a non-English reading individual, would leave you open to more liability than you want. I have two individual working under my license that do not read English at a technical level. However they do read Spanish and I supply them with Labels and MSDSs in Spanish for the Chemicals they apply, Roundup.

8. Avery

Avery LawnSite Bronze Member

+1! I have 14 hispanics and two americans. One is a crew leader the other crew member. Over the years I have found the work ethics of most americans to be below par at best. Always late for work, always tearing up equipment, no show, quit without notice. I could go on and on. I hire people that want to work. Just happens that most hispanics want/know how to work. Plus all my guys are legal. Contracted through the H2b program. Poor economy down the road due to hiring hispanics? Puhleeze!! I pay everyone the same. Please explain that broad statement to me. :confused:

9. Tscape

Tscape LawnSite Bronze Member

You want to talk about broad statements? Re-read your post. You can't make generalizations about anyone. However, it is always right to hire your own countrymen before outsourcing the jobs to foreigners. If you can't find anyone to take the job seriously, perhaps you should look at your own hiring process or rate of pay. I just don't know how you could sleep at night giving a job to someone other than an American.

10. crazy

crazy LawnSite Member

i think there are alot more factors then that.

i can give my opinion of why foreign workers, will be considered the better group of people to hire. i personally believe that they carry a different work ethic, as opposed to the general work ethic of our highschool drop/college drop out who choose to work in lawncare as a temporary job, and are ready to leave at any moment for a chance of a better job.

it seems to be the general course of hiring that i see my boss and foreman struggle with. my boss had mentioned to me, that the days of him being able to find hard working people who didnt complain or take random days off has gone by, with me as the last person he has hired that turned out to be a hardworker.

what makes me and the foreman possible dedicated workers to our jobs. for me i can personally owe it to myself to do my best at the job that is presented to me at the time, i dont think the job is at all below my skills or abilitly, i view the job, as one that i should make little no mistakes ever, and i can easily complete all tasked as of me. for clarification i am a 1st generation american, from a filipino family. as for my bosses foreman, i believe his reasons of dedication is loyalty to someone who has given a job for over the years and taken care of him.

from what i have always understand, the harder working, more dedicated person will always get the job, even though that may be a hard fact to understand. but more and more foreigners are becoming better skilled at these jobs, while kids in the age groups of 17-23 seem to be find this job to be below there status in our world, but normally are willing to work for a few weeks, quit with no notice and then leave

that is why i can understand one people would prefer to hire a person who is always there and oppossed to someone who isnt reliable. call me dumb, but i think youll make more money when you hire the more reliable worker