No Stripes

Discussion in 'eXmark' started by HOOLIE, Jul 9, 2004.

HOOLIE LawnSite Gold Member

I've been happy overall w/ my Metro, but it never makes sharply defined stripes like other brands I have used. I have heard a couple other guys mention this as well.

Anybody else with this problem?
  2. eXmark

eXmark Manufacturer / Sponsor

The solid airfoil blades tend to stripe a little nicer in my opinion (don't use them in wet conditions however), adjusting your cutting height so you have a little extra rake in the deck can help define the stripe a little more. You'll also find that the strips are much more defined depending upon the direction your cutting and the location of the sun. The stripes should be more noticeable with the sun at your back as you look across the lawn.

3. TClawn

TClawn LawnSite Silver Member

what is the optimal cutting height for striping on a exmark?
  4. jajwrigh

jajwrigh LawnSite Bronze Member
    Male, from Martinsville, IN

I have found 3 1/8" to be the best for striping and it greatly depends on the typ of grass you are cutting as well. My metro has laid some gorgeous stripes in factory trim...

HOOLIE LawnSite Gold Member

I've recently switched to mulching blades for the summer, and they seem to make better stripes. Anyhow, I don't believe I have a striping kit on my machine. Will that make a big difference? Right now, you can see stripes, but they kind of fade into one another, with no clearly defined edge to them.
  6. eXmark

We don't offer a striping kit for the Metro or the Viking hydro at this time. With the mulch kit you'll probably find that cutting lower the unit will stripe better. If you are side discharging often you can cut higher and still get good results striping.

7. ribbie78

ribbie78 LawnSite Member

This was from 04' ; does exmark make a striping kit for the viking yet? If so, how much? Thanks!!

8. eXmark

Sorry, still no strper available for the Viking.