No striping in Florida why?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by T-N-T Lawn Care, Jul 4, 2003.

1. T-N-T Lawn Care

T-N-T Lawn Care LawnSite Member

I live here in Jacksonville, Fl. I like the stripe look and want to try it. I do not see it done here in Florida. I serveral accounts that would look great that way. I was wondering is there a reason? Does the type of grass make a difference? I would like to know before I go and spend the money on a kit. Thanks,

Tina

2. Lawn Lizards

Lawn Lizards LawnSite Member

I would love to use a striping kit as well. However, I don't think it will work on St. Augustine grass like it does on Blue Grass up north. St. Augustine grass is a LOT stiffer than that of Blue Grass. You can still make nice lines with the tires, but it doesn't have the full stripe look like it does up north. Kinda sucks, doesn't it.

I don't know though. I haven't tried to use a kit. If anyone else knows if it will work on St. Augustine grass in Florida, let us know!

3. ElephantNest

ElephantNest LawnSite Bronze Member
    from La.

I have St. Aug in my yard. It stripes ok. Need to cut it higher than normal. Grass type makes a huge dif., fescues, bluegrasses, ryes being among the best to stripe with I believe. But most grasses will show striping, just some are better than others.

4. mowerman90

mowerman90 LawnSite Bronze Member

This is about as good of a strip as I can get in St Augustine grass.

mse2b.jpg

5. CO.d 502nd

CO.d 502nd Banned

warm season grass is hard to stripe with a rotory mower.Nothern grass like bluegrass ryegarss fescue's is hard not to stripe.

6. MTR

MTR LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Florida

Yeah, mowerman 90, I was wondering the same way about St.Augustine grass striping but since it is nature that dictate how stripe can be, in 2 days your stripe is gone as grass grow again, so I now focus on neat, tigh, and smooth looking lawn after finish. It is the appearance that sells, no straggler, for example, and the smoothness of cut is #1 priority. You know what I loving cutting St. Augustine grass over any other grasses, dropped all Bahia accounts for kids in the block and others who want to do them!

7. Keith

Keith LawnSite Gold Member

If you are looking for a stripe in St. Augustine break out the green paint :D Seriously though, sometimes it stripes better than other times. St. Augustine cut higher in a shady area is much more likely to look striped than in the sun. Not to say it can't look striped in the sun. Depends on the alignment of the planets I think :p It's a hit and miss thing.

Once again, before I retire this picture, stripes in St. Augustine.

[​IMG]

And before someone says "You should have blown the sidewalk off before taking the picture." That's not grass, it's textured :)

8. CO.d 502nd

CO.d 502nd Banned

keith ,do have a stripeing roller on your mower :D Great stripes for saint augustine very good work.

9. Keith

Keith LawnSite Gold Member

No, just a plain old 36" Exmark. Maybe the tires were low that day and the back of the deck dragged more than usual :D I don't know why it striped so well. Notice though, it is really shady there and the grass is nowhere near as thick as it would be in a sunny lawn, so it can lay over a bit. I'm pretty sure it has something to do with the moisture level in the plant as well, but I have never really figured out why they do it one week and not the next.

I had to run back home, get the camera and take the pic before it got completely dark. That's why it's so dim.

BTW, I cut one with the 60" Exmark about 3 weeks ago, full sun and it striped like mad :confused: I did not have my camera, in fact it was in another state. So I couldn't just run back to the house and get it :p It would have made a good picture though.