no stupid questions?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by bubble boy, Apr 8, 2002.

1. bubble boy

bubble boy LawnSite Bronze Member

I've been noticing lately a lot of questions being asked by guys starting up.

pretty basic ones like

1.how much per lawn

2.how many lawns can i do in a day

3.what is in a spring clean up

4.how do i advertise.

etc, etc.

now i know there is no such thing as a stupid question. but i'm wondering, do these people really not know? do they have an idea and want to confirm? are they just fishing for info?

cause without knowing how many lawns you can do and without knowing a price, you don't know revenue. logic then dictates you dont have accurate expense estimates as they are more difficult to project. well, how are these people even thinking of starting a business? i mean anyone working for a week for an lco knows how many lawns, at what size, can be done in a day.

for those who have such questions is lawnsite your only reference? i mean when i started out i had studied business at university and worked four seasons with various lco's. thus doing a business plan was relatively easy.

i know we are always saying lawnsite is a great resource for people, but some questions asked indicate these people have zero experience in the lawn industry.

should these people really be starting up on their own? i say no. research and work for an lco first. just seems like good business sense to me.

maybe the people asking these questions are just researching for when they do start out. but i get the impression they are actually in the process of starting, and dont have a clue. to me thats irratating.

flame if you wish:eek:

2. fastrunner

fastrunner LawnSite Member

bubble boy, you have alot of time on your hands.:eek:

3. DaveK

DaveK LawnSite Member

I would guess that they are in the research stage. And where better to go than Lawnsite. Sure they could probably go to the library, but that is so boring.

You more than likely asked many question as well, the difference is that you may have asked in person, without thousands of others hearing (reading) your questions. You learned at a university and through experience, they are learning through the many members of Lawnsite. And where else could so find so many industry experts in one place willing to help others simply because they enjoy sharing their experience.

If you are in the mood to offer advice/answers, do so.
    If not, don't.

BTW, I'm not flaming. I'm just sharing my viewpoint.

4. BAMARED

BAMARED LawnSite Member

Hey Bubble Boy,

This sounds like you're wanting to pick an argument. These guys are trying to learn just as you and I did......... and are still doing. There are folks on here with decades of experience as well as 0 experience and everywhere in between. Look, the economy isn't great and I saw where we have an unemloyment rate that refects this. So, I imagine that there will be many more of these "just starting out" questions. If they bore or offend you, then don't click on them.

Now, quit belly-aching and get back to work.

BAMARED

5. Turf Technologies

Turf Technologies LawnSite Senior Member
    from Florida

I can see you point bubble boy. If they are starting off on there own , after working a few years or more for some other lco they should know pricing and timing per lawn. and how to grow as a bussiness.I worked 5 yrs for a company and now just this year im running it on my own.I know that two of us could do 20 to 23 lawns a day, so i can do about 11 to 12 alone.I dont handle pricing but i know the avg. charge is 20 per cut around 60 for mowing contract and add 20 or 40$ for full contract.(in my area anyways).

All of you are wrong about Bubble Boys post, in 5 yrs i have seen new companies formed in the spring and gone by summer.They have never done this work in there life, and when it gets to hot the run.How can you start a lco without working for one in your past?And pricing is diffrent all over the US how can you get ana ccurate amount on this board?The lawns a bigger or smaller, how can you get an avg time?Everyone works diffrent.ONly way to know is tow ork for someone eles first and learn.

6. Look at their profiles, you will notice not many are even old enough to vote.

Best thing to do, is not respond.

Teach them the right way to do research.

7. BAMARED

BAMARED LawnSite Member

Hehehe! You guys are killing me. This ain't rocket science and the average fellow armed with enough grass cutting experience as a youngster can easily make it fly on a small scale or perhaps partime sense. I did.......and so did many others that I know.

Please don't take me wrong - working for a LCO, attending business classes, etc. are THE way to do it - no doubt. But it's not as you said "The only way." If a person who has the drive and good common sense, he'll find a way.

BAMARED

8. Russo

Russo LawnSite Senior Member

Now, now. Sometimes it does seem like the homeowner forum on here, BUT there are folks who worked for a LCo for many many years but never were involved in the advertising, or never came across a particular type of job. Doesn't make 'em stupid, right?

I consider myself very experienced in this field, but I recently asked for advice on solo revenue expectations because I always worked for someone else. Surely you're not calling me stupid. You did take the time to post, not one, but two replies. I think you could have stopped your post at " no such thing as a stupid question."

This is not a flame. I considered flaming you, but I don't Know how much to charge for that. LOL

Landscraper

9. BAMARED

BAMARED LawnSite Member

Landscraper,

OK - I'm just a home owner and you're stupid. Hehehe! Anyone from Tennesse can't be all that bad, though...........that is unless you're a Vols fan!

Be good,

BAMARED

10. DaveK

DaveK LawnSite Member

How did we get to the moon when nobody had done it in the past?

They are researching. What would you be teaching them by not responding? That the members of Lawnsite aren't helpful?

LOL. Let's see, I cut the grass, I charge a fee. You're right BAMARED, it isn't rocket science. But some people here act as if they hold the secret formula to Coka Cola.

BTW Landscraper, I offer flaming as a one-time free service. Then I start charging. :D