1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

No Such Thing As Comm. Plates In Maryland

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by smcunningham, Apr 14, 2007.

1. smcunningham

smcunningham LawnSite Senior Member

If I'm wrong somebody please correct me........Maryland has apointed/aportioned tags or something of that nature.......According to the dmv and two different tag and title companys theres no such thing as comm plates. If this is not true please somebody let me know.:confused:

2. Grits

Grits LawnSite Silver Member
    from Florida

Not every state has commercial plates.

3. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

They may not call them commercial tags but they charge for them.

http://www.marylandmva.com/VehicleServ/REG/fees.htm

Any truck over 10,000 pounds gets to pay a commercial fee just like NC. I might also add that the fee for trailers in MD is absurd. My 7,000# trailer in MD would be $160 every two years. Here in NC it's like $20 yearly or something like that.

4. DiyDave

DiyDave LawnSite Bronze Member

Hey TLS- Remember this is Maryland, state motto, "if you can dream it, we can tax it". Never register a truck over 10,000 lbs. Never register a trailer over 10,000 lbs. Never pull a combo registered over 20,000lbs. Puts a bullseye right on your backside, saying pull me over and give me s**t. Never stop at scalehouses, go around. Overweight tickets are cheaper than all the hassles from DOT and the state police.:hammerhead: :hammerhead: