No T270's!!!!! ^@%@#*&!!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by wacamaster, Jun 7, 2005.

1. wacamaster

wacamaster LawnSite Member
    from MI

Went in to get me a couple more Shindaiwa T 270's. They don't make them anymore!! Apparently they don't meet emmisions. Then I'm looking thinkin they will have a similar one and they making them with ridiculously huge heads and engine size. Anybody seen those heads?? What the hell were they thinkin???

2. gunner27

gunner27 LawnSite Member
    from ohio

Nope, don't make ' em any more. I know your pain, probably one of the best trimmer ever made. Before I statrted my own buisness I used to run them for more than 7 to 8 hours a day. When I went on my own i bougt a T 230. Well they dont make those anymore. My advice would be to go to your closest dealer that gives you the best service.

3. ElephantNest

ElephantNest LawnSite Bronze Member
    from La.

Ebay. I found 3 270's on Ebay, love them all.

4. mastercare

mastercare LawnSite Senior Member

I too can't stand the new ones. They basically just added the equivalent of a Catalytic converter to the muffler, which makes the head so much bigger. The engine is basically the same size though. New restrictions on airflow leads to lower output by the engine. I've often wondered though, if you could take off the "new" equipment, and buy and old muffler/plastic housing, if it would bolt on, and work like the old ones?

Anybody try this?

5. Tider6972

Tider6972 LawnSite Senior Member
    from Alabama

The nearest thing to the 270, and even better, is the Redmax 3000. Try it; you'll like it.

6. MercyMe

MercyMe LawnSite Member

Actually the new high torque model SRM-261T from Echo has the same power and unbelievable torque like the old T-270's. And a lot better price too! $319

7. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

We have both and I would agree the Echo 261T is almost as good as the T270 and the Echo is lighter.

8. txlawnking

txlawnking LawnSite Bronze Member

I don't think the 261T is quite so hot as the 270 was.. But it sure is lighter.. I think my t-270 replacement will be a Stihl FS 250.. It seems to be about the same weight as the old 270' and You can't argue with 2.15HP.. ( per Stihl's website..) Or maybe a Redmax 3000.. The Tanaka guy sez that their 3400 rips too..Anyone else used either the Stihl or the Tanaka?

9. txlawnking

txlawnking LawnSite Bronze Member

I believe someone told me that in adition to the Cat muffler, the carb is different as well, and maybe even some internal differences..

Either way though.. It'd probably be too $$$ to buy a new T-272x and do a "270 conversion".. :( R.I.P. 270..

10. jgtxusa

jgtxusa LawnSite Member

i run the t261s and my guys like them pretty good. they cant touch the old 260s or 270s, but they will have to do.