no threads in Kohler SV470 engine mount holes

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by redeye1964, Aug 17, 2013.

1. redeye1964

redeye1964 LawnSite Member

I'm fitting a SV470 into a ride-on, went to screw the bolts into the engine mounting holes - they are unthreaded......is this normal with these engines, do I have to tap threads into them? Seems crazy to me, wondering if it is a casting error?? Please help, I need to get this going, I'm a contractor :confused:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

as you can see, 3 holes are blind, no way to use nut/bolts, except for 1

2. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

Most equipment makers use self tapping screws when installing engines so no threads is normal, Cut your own with a tap or use the factory equipment bolts...... But....Be careful, I snapped a self tapper off in a brand new aluminum spindle housing ONCE......

3. BigFish

BigFish LawnSite Silver Member

As was mentioned, you'd be better off to cut new threads using a tap. You can prolly get by with just a " plug tap" which will cut almost to the bottom of the blind holes. If ya don't have a plug tap, you can grind some of the lead/ point off a regular taper tap.
    Use plenty of lube and blow out the chips, shouldn't have any problems.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2013
  4. dutch1

dutch1 LawnSite Silver Member
    from Jayhawk

This is just another process the manufacturers eliminate to reduce the cost of production. I've never attempted to use self tappers on a new block--I always tap threads since breaking one off while removing an engine. Grade 5 and 242(blue) Loctite works for me.

5. redeye1964

thanks for the advice, I'll tap threads rather than risk self threaders

6. redeye1964

finally fitted, was a big job - best part of 3 days, where I usually do an engine swap in a matter of hours - all due to the mounting arrangement......mower is a Cox, made in Oz
    [​IMG]

7. gnobles

gnobles LawnSite Member

I had good success today tapping threads with this technique:

IMG_9819.jpg

IMG_9824.jpg

IMG_9825.jpg

IMG_9822.jpg

8. Valk

Valk LawnSite Silver Member

Is the above method preferable to a self tapping screw/bolt? Mechanics??

9. gnobles

gnobles LawnSite Member

I should have also mentioned that I inserted the thread cutting tool only 3 to 5 threads deep, then pulled it out, blew it off with air, blew the hole out with air, and then repeated until finished. I also lubricated the hole with WD-40.

I had never done this before, but found it to be a surprising easy process.

10. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

As I mentioned above, After snapping one off...... ALL un-threaded holes get tapped......