No time off this winter.

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by anythinglawns, Nov 12, 2002.

1. anythinglawns

anythinglawns LawnSite Member

With the season coming to an end and it being a bad season for me I was really getting concerned about the coming winter. Normally I put back enough to survive but this year being as bad as it was I barely made it through the summer.
    Funny how things work out. You pray for somthing to help you through the winter and you get what you ask for. With last Sundays tornados in my county I am booked until Feb.. One cleanup will take me until Jan.. Although I hate the fact that I am getting this work through other peoples misfortune, I am very glad to have work. The devistation is unreal. One place I am working has over 200 trees down. I have been approached by two guys who cut wood for a living asking if they can help just for the wood. I say sure. I charge for their time. THey get paid in literly hundreds of ricks of firewood to sell. It is a great pay off. (Home owner says it is ok with him he just wants it cleaned up.)
    I guess the saying is true. "Be careful what you wish for".
    By the way all the horses in the barn lived. Some hurt pretty bad but all will recover. I don't know how any of them survived though parts of the barn are being found 3 miles away. The whole thing was leveled.
  2. anythinglawns

anythinglawns LawnSite Member

I some how deleted the key part about the horse barn. My uncle runs a 32 stall boarding service. the barn of which took the brunt of the recent tornados. While helping him salvage what he could, I when I was approched about the huge clean up job.

3. awm

awm LawnSite Gold Member

my sympathies to u folks out that way. their lucky to have services that can come in and straiten things out.
    ps sounds like some horses got lucky.
  4. Southern Lawns

Southern Lawns LawnSite Senior Member

Saw a few pics on the news the past few days. Wow! My heart goes out to you and your neighbors. I know how devastating it is.
    We had four hurricanes in a three year period hit our coastal town a few years back. It really makes a community come together. Best of luck to you. Be careful!
  5. rkbrown

rkbrown LawnSite Senior Member

My sympathies also for the people hurting in your area. However, you should not feel guilty for one minute or look at it that you are "capitalizing on other peoples' misfortunes." You are in position to offer a valuable service that they truely need. Best of luck to you and I hope this will give you enough money to make it through the winter and do the necessary maintenance on your equipment so you will be ready to start in the spring.
  6. Gravely_Man

Gravely_Man LawnSite Silver Member

Best of luck getting that all cleaned up. I guess you will be looking into renting a chipper to get rid of all of the branches. Be careful and make sure your insurance covers "tree" work and that the other two gentlemen that approached you to get the wood to sell also have insurance.

LAWNS AND MOWER LawnSite Bronze Member

Ice storms are also great for job security. Had one 3 years ago and kept me busy for 10 weeks. Must admit, working in trees is too much like work. Wouldn't want to do it year round.