1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

No time to search, Need help fast

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by gunputt, Dec 7, 2001.

1. gunputt

gunputt LawnSite Member

I have a great opportunity to bid a commercial property. I need to bid it as soon as possible. At this point I am not able to look at the property and know how long it will take to mow. I can figure out the square footage, but need some ideas on square foot pricing.
    I am also looking for suggestions on what all is involved in the bid process such as forms, contract or no contract, legalities etc.
  2. LoneStarLawn

LoneStarLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

I would never bid on a property without looking at it.

Searches get results quicker. Instead of waiting you could be reading.
  3. Fantasy Lawns

Fantasy Lawns LawnSite Bronze Member

Kinda Like a Blind Date ..... ;->
  4. AielLandscaping

AielLandscaping LawnSite Senior Member

i never need to look at a property to make a bid, i have a formula that i use based on square footage and other measurements, i also use plenty of forms to keep everything on the up and up.. if you want my formulas or if you want to check out my paper work, e-mail me... i plan on copyrighting these so i don't want to make them completely public just yet, but if you want some ideas i'll help you out
  5. CSRA Landscaping

CSRA Landscaping LawnSite Bronze Member

Let me guess, they called and said. "How much do you charge ... "

MATTHEW LawnSite Senior Member
    from NE OHIO

Hopefully ,you have a property you do now that you can compare it to. But if you do mostly small to mid-sized residentials with 1 walkbehind and this is a 2 acre property with 125 trees, you may be getting in over your head. You simply MUST go out there and look at it. Don't go too low. The other guys may be charging a small fortune and they only want to trim the budget a bit.
  7. LoneStarLawn

LoneStarLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

I see a flaw. So if someone called told you square footage you could give them a price?

40 degree sloped areas would be alot more than flat land...(Just one factor)
    No formula can be accurate without a degree of difficulty and that factor must be obtained from going to the property.
  8. John DiMartino

John DiMartino LawnSite Silver Member

If you cant look at it,and you arent sure about how to write the contracts or other important things,I think you should pass on it.You cant loose any money that way.It sounds as if your not ready for this yet.I would never,ever bid a property without actually going to the site,and talking with the manager to discuss details,and problem areas.If you insist on bidding it anyway,ID bid it with a very big cushion,in case everything is worst case senario,steep,rough ground,lots of garbage,tons of trimming,etc..
  9. Kent Lawns

Kent Lawns LawnSite Senior Member
    from Midwest

You can get all the information you need off an aerial photo and topgraphy map.

Historical perspective:
    I used to be that you needed to see a someone in person in order to communicate with them.
    Then mail
    Then telegraph
    Then phone
    Then fax
    Then cell phone
    Then e-mail, etc. etc.
    Meeting is person is still the best.

I can see the same thing happening with lawn quotes.
  10. Currier

Currier LawnSite Senior Member

Guys, I think he can look at the property. He is just not at the point yet where he can "look"at the job and know how long it will take him to do it.

My suggestion. Break it down into small units and figure out about how long each little section will take. Bid the job as you would mow it, one section at a time and then just add together to get the total. Walk the perimeters to get an idea of eging and trimming. Make note of trim obstacles. Visit the site once and think how easy $$ it will be, then leave and THINK for awhile. Realize you probably have been too optimistic, and go back for a second, realistic view of the job.