1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

No trailer brakes

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by bob, Aug 31, 2000.

1. bob

bob LawnSite Platinum Member
    from DE

A friend of mine ,Jeff, bought 16x6,duel axle, Big Tex trailer about 3 years ago. Jeff carries 2 ZTR's on the trailer. The saleman at the time told him that he didn't need trailer brakes. The truck brakes would stop him just fine. He's been going through brake pads on his truck like crazy. I told him I think it's illegal for him to even tow the thing with out brakes or a DOT brake-away-kit. In my opinion, the dealer should not have even been able to sell such a thing!

2. I agree with you Bob. Here in Tenn. if you are pulling a dual axle trailer commercially you are required to have brakes on both axles and a breakaway box. The average "Joe" can go buy the same trailer, and is not required to have brakes on it. A single axle trailer 12 ft and under is not required to have all the DOT requirements on it. Some of the lowballers are using these to get around the DOT regulations.

I also agree that if DOT requires the trailer to have brakes then they should come equipped standard and not be an add-on. I made sure the last trailer I bought was in compliance with the DOT regualtions when I bought it, cheaper in the long run, since DOT has given some pretty hefty fines for not being in compliance, up to $1600.00 in some cases. A fine like that would pay for the trailer.

3. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

You're correct. In most states trailer brakes are required on any dual axle trailer. IF he ever had to stop to avoid an accident he can forget about it.

4. Davis wrote:

>A single axle trailer 12 ft and under is not required to have all the DOT requirements on it. Some of the lowballers are using these to get around the DOT regulations.

Or maybe they they find it hard to pull enclosed trailers
    that are 2800lbs tare up 15% grades in Eastern Tenn/PA/whatever.

5. Toddppm

Toddppm LawnSite Senior Member
    from VA

Around here any trailer over 3000 GVW has to be inspected each year, think it also has to have breakaway kit not sure about the brakes.

6. MLS

MLS LawnSite Member

Davis

In TN a trailer that has a GTW under 7500 pounds only has to have one brake axle. Other than that there are a bunch of little things that can get you in trouble with the law.

7. KirbysLawn

KirbysLawn Millenium Member

Stone worte:

> Or maybe they they find it hard to pull enclosed trailers
    that are 2800lbs tare up 15% grades in Eastern Tenn/PA/whatever

Another cheap shot at my trailer. :)

8. bob

bob LawnSite Platinum Member
    from DE

Ray, I'm not standing up for Stone, but he doesn't mention North Carolina in his post. Why do you think this is directed at you?

9. BUSHMASTER

BUSHMASTER LawnSite Senior Member

Well hears my two cents worth.... in my case truck(big walkk though van 1ton)trailer ...mowers tools my !@# and all those people just waiting for excuse to drag my broke self into court ....Trailer brakes hey think of it as insure even on a single axle. confusis says "forsee the future" or something like that.

10. geogunn

geogunn LawnSite Gold Member
    from TN

davistlc--do I understand you to say that because I use a 12' single axle trailer that I am a lowballer?

mls--I read your profile but I can't find southern Tennessee on the map.

GEO