No trailer lights?

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by lawnspecialties, Oct 22, 2006.

1. lawnspecialties

lawnspecialties LawnSite Silver Member

This morning when I leave the house, I see my trailer lights aren't working. The brake's lights work but not the "driving" lights. I sort of play with the wiring harness to see if there's a loose connection but nothing. Both harnesses look perfect. Possibly a short somewhere? The truck's lights are fine.

This is a one year old trailer. Anything I'm possibly overlooking before I go crawling underneath looking for a broken connection? If there's a short, wouldn't that blow the fuse in the truck? :confused:

2. FearThisDeere

FearThisDeere LawnSite Bronze Member

Do your trailer lights ground through the ball? Do you have a flat 4 wiring or a round 7?

3. lawnspecialties

These are on my 7'x14' single axle. It's just a flat 4 prong connector (no brakes or anything like that). I would imagine they ground through the ball.

If that could be my problem, would the brake lights still be able to work? I'm working the fire station today and it's about a 25 minute drive. I would have thought the ball would have "cleaned" off enough in that time to get a good ground. I never saw the amber clearance light on the fender come on the entire trip. Tomorrow when I head out I'm certainly going to keep an eye on it.:confused:

4. mike lane lawn care

mike lane lawn care LawnSite Bronze Member

had this problem, it was the ground on the truck. check that out and see if there is a broken wire somewhere,

5. Rons Rightway Lawncare

Rons Rightway Lawncare LawnSite Bronze Member

Another thing to look at.... Check the fuse box in the truck very carefully for blown fuses. My 2005 silverado has fuses just for the trailers lights - 2 or 3 fuses - and I had problems with lights that wouldn't work and I could not find the problem till I decided to " just check " the fuse box and sure enough a blown fuse!

6. YellowDogSVC

YellowDogSVC LawnSite Gold Member
    from TX

there may be a fuse box under hood (my 2005 f350 has one). Those larger fuses are separate from dash fuses and will affect trailers. Check your trailer ground and the ground on the lights at trailer. May be a loose nut if they ground through the stud on trailer lights.

7. lawnspecialties

That's what I'm wondering (and hoping). Thanks Ron and YellowDog. If I figure it out, I'll let ya'll know what it was.

8. DBL

DBL LawnSite Silver Member

the absolute simplest check would be is the connecter in the right way or all the way in

9. lawnspecialties

Thanks again for the help everyone. Sure enough, fuse number 10 by the passenger side kickpanel fusebox Trailer Tow Parklamp Relay. Who'd have thunk it?:confused:

10. FearThisDeere

FearThisDeere LawnSite Bronze Member

Glad to hear it was any easy fix. Trailer electrical can be a PITA.