No water running through the system

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by LawnMastersTx, Mar 27, 2008.

1. LawnMastersTx

LawnMastersTx LawnSite Member

Hey guys, so far in my first season of repair work, I have not had anything hard that I have come across, until today.

A home owner calls saying her system wont turn on at all, so I head out and take a look at it. The husband had already dug up the DCVA and what he thinks is a valve (which is a shut off fitting). First thought, something wrong with the box, its a Hunter XC box. Looks to be running fine, has a weather sensor attached, I bypass it and turn on a zone, nothing.

I take a look at the holes that were dug, full of water and the home owner says one side of her yard is always wet. She called the city and the city says there is no leak b/c no water is shown running at the meter when all water in the house is off. The city says she has a natural spring in her yard, that's a first for me to hear that about a yard. After cleaning around the DCVA, i check to see if that has been turned off. Still on, but one of the handles will not turn off, it goes about 1/8 of the way and then feels like its hitting something in the pipe. The handle is rusted bad and didn't want to force it since i could tell the handle was about to break. The other one turned off and on with no problems. After shutting the handle off i could not hear anything when i turned it back on, i usually hear water flowing back through or something.

I go to a valve, and try to turn it on manually, no luck. I open it up expecting if there is water pressure that I am about to get a bath. Nothing comes out. Same of the 3 other valves that i found in the yard.

So with the DVCA turned on and the shut off fitting wide open, nothing is coming out of the system, there is no lose in water pressure at the house and the meter is standing still.

My guess is something it clogged or broken with the DVCA, but with my 2 months of hands on experience, I come to the you guys, the pros :waving:

What do you think? Am I on the right track?

2. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

What make and model of DCVA and how old is it?

3. Dirty Water

Dirty Water LawnSite Fanatic

Is there wires attached to the master valve terminal on the timer?

4. Mike Leary

Mike Leary LawnSite Fanatic

Pull the checks and see what happens.

5. Mike Leary

Mike Leary LawnSite Fanatic

Jezz, I don't remember a mstr. valve mentioned.

6. LawnMastersTx

7. LawnMastersTx

No master valve on it. The shut off fitting looks like the fitting you hook your hose up to on the outside of the house. I do not have the state training or anything for backflow devices so i stayed away from anything other than turning it on and off. I would rather turn it over to someone else to fix than mess the system up more =)

8. DanaMac

DanaMac LawnSite Fanatic

Did you open a testcock at the DCV to make sure there is water to that point?

9. LawnMastersTx

Nope didnt open anything on the DCV. Wasnt sure what would happen if i did so i errored on the side of caution. I can go find out tomorrow though and get more information on the DCV.

So it looks like it might be the DCV? Its the first time that i have tried to close one and felt like it hit something in the pipe. Now the DCV was sitting in about a foot of water and said to have been like that for a while. Thing is, the water did not smell bad at all, but almost fresh.

10. Ferti-man

Ferti-man LawnSite Senior Member

Like DanaMac said, Check the backflow ports. Start at the outlet side. If water there, the others will have as well. Then go to the next component downstream, until you do not get water no more. Somewhere in between, you likely have a line break not allowing pressure build up to the valves. If no water at backflow, work your way backwards to main shut off. Look at it as a linear system. the first item has to work before the next will, unless there is a major line break. Ask them if any work has been done on property that may have caused line damage.