No Water

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by tjsquickcuts, Sep 28, 2007.

1. tjsquickcuts

tjsquickcuts LawnSite Senior Member
    from Atlanta

Okay, the state has finally decided to issue a total watering ban for the entire north ga area, with exceptions for comm. landscapers and farmers for now for 30 days....All of our lakes are drying up....one of the largest lakes will be empty by Feb if we dont get any rain....

Was at a meeting about this situation this morning and thats when they announced the total ban.....Overseeding will not be a exception either so beware guys.....We are currently at a level 4 drought, which is extreme.....I was at the meeting to protest against everyone else who needs water to keep running their business ( Carwashes, bottling companies, etc...) I just dont think its fair....I need water to run my business just as much as they do....I do understand our water situation, but if we can continue to waste water by washing cars, then we should be able to water trees, lawns, and shrubs.....I am going to try and organize sometype of Large Protest Downtown on the Capital because we need to be heard.....This is how I make my living, and they are tying my hands behind my back....Oh, and we are forecasted to have a warm dry winter....

2. privatelawn

privatelawn LawnSite Senior Member

wouldent 30 days with no water cause everyones lawn to die and then need to be resodded? Im sure the whole city would look like c*** with everyones lawn dead.

3. willider

willider LawnSite Member

Almost all car washes recycle their water now.:hammerhead:

4. tjsquickcuts

from Atlanta

Well we have already had watering bans in place, but most allowed at least one top three days a week, but now its nothing....no water at all so most lawns will take a beating, but we have just 95 bermuda here and bermuda doesnt die....It will just go dormant and come back once we get some rain....I have had some lawns this year to be completely dormant, and have come back in full force with the little rain we have gotten.....But not really worried about lawns, I am concerned with my fall planting and seeding....

willider, if you can honestly say all the water that car washes used are recycled then I will rest my case.....Yeah I am sure some is recycled, but a lot is wasted....

5. wall

wall LawnSite Member

Instead of protesting,,,,,,, GO TO CHURCH AND PRAY FOR RAIN!

6. tjsquickcuts

from Atlanta

Been praying all year....

7. willider

willider LawnSite Member

Not all the water is re-usable but, I think this is how they get by with keeping them open even during water restrictions...

8. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

Sorry to hear that. Our changes go into affect Monday....watering only on Tues and Friday on commericial. WE can ask for deviation to water rye for the first two weeks, but I don't know if we can keep it going with 90F and two days a week Flowers are going to be a big problem especially in the summer. We got plenty of water but the darn city can't find a place for the pumping station.....all the green weenies want us to conserve. We have a bunch of people who use no water on lawns...well they put all kind of low water stuff in their yards...even cactus and related plants.

9. tjsquickcuts

from Atlanta

and dancing too

10. nlminc

nlminc LawnSite Bronze Member
    from GA

Last I read you could water overseeding for 30 days if a commercial landscape company did the overseeding. Are you sure??

I have 4-5 landscape/planting installs booked for October. Three of them still want to go for it. I figure they'll have one month to water and after that by the end of November most of the plants will be going dormant and only need to be watered once a week.

Personally I don't want to plant, but ya know........the customer wants it and winter is approaching. I'm not planting flowers unless the customer signs off on them. I've turned down many jobs before because the jobs were nonsense....I've learned that it's the customer fault if they don't listen, it's only my job to do the work and get paid! If they don't want to take my advice then I'll take their money.

Looking at the 10 day, there's a 60% chance of rain next weekend.......but that could just be bs it's so far off!