1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

no watering in the "pm"

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by ant, Jul 27, 2001.

1. ant

ant LawnSite Silver Member

why are the lawns that are being watered in the pm looking good?
    it does not make sence to me.
  2. Avery

Avery LawnSite Bronze Member

Why does this not make sense to you? :confused:
  3. Eric ELM

Eric ELM Husband, Father, Friend, Angel

I have my system set so it turns on about dawn. This is supposed to be the best time, but my neighbor waters his in the evening. His lawn looks great too. I guess when it's as dry as it is here, the grass doesn't even care when it gets watered, as long as it gets watered. :)
  4. smburgess

smburgess LawnSite Senior Member

The reason behind watering in the a.m. is really two fold; it helps prevent fungus (when watering late evening/night) and wasting water through evaporation (watering in afternoon). The turf itself doesn't care when it gets watered, it'll use it anytime.
  5. wallzwallz

wallzwallz LawnSite Senior Member

I believe it's best to water at dawn,for above reasons,also recall something about insect population increasing watering at night.Like I said it's best at dawn but in the real world, water any time is better than no water. I have 1 account so big it's a 14 hr cycle on the irrigation, so we run it from 7 pm to 9 am. lawn looks good

Mike Wall
  6. i must ask this, why are we talking about when to water during the day when we have an irrigation system. when the right way to run an irrigation system is with a moisture meter built into the system. with a moisture meter, when the water level gets down by PWP the system turns on. when you are up by FC the system stays off. that sounds like the most effective way to water.
  7. powerreel

powerreel Banned

Atlanta Braves have bowls under their turf that they can fill and rotate via PC. In the fryin' heat keep as much water in the turf as you can, then fry out a couple weeks prior to fall rains.
  8. wallzwallz

wallzwallz LawnSite Senior Member

so if the water got down to pwp? at noon time would that be most effective time to water? you still have to set a time+ water can be expensive some places so you want to use min. gals for max absorbtion. The device your talking about would be nice for some of my customers who insist on watering every nite.

Mike Wall:D
  9. well i mean i am just saying that that is the best way to do it. instead of watering when you dont need to. however you are right about watering. about 5 am or so is a good time. probably the best time. but golf courses i believe use this system.
  10. HBFOXJr

HBFOXJr LawnSite Bronze Member

Any time after midnight is as acceptable time to water.

1. least evaporation- get the most of what your buying or pumping
    2. minimum wind drift- water goes where it is supposed to with highest degree of uniformity
    3. least conflict with daily activities
    4. NO! it doesn't cause or promote fungus. Many fungal pathogens require a free bead of water standing on the plant tissue for 16 or more hours in order to penetrate and infect the plant. Under most conditions even the zone that goes off at midnight will be dry long before 4 pm the next day.

Moisture sensors

Many municipalites have regulations regarding watering days and times. I see or have heard of every 2nd or 3rd day, and 3 days per week. In our area it can be dictated by geographic area or house number (odd/even). Some municipalties or water companies have no restrictions at all.

I've tried to work with municipalites and water companies in the past. They are not the least bit interested in what could be better. They want simple rules they can give to everyone and subsequently enforce.

Consequently the combination of a moisture sensor and a controller set to a schedule is not a viable option. The sensor could call for water on an off day and the lawn could be short of moisture for a day or two until your get a legal day again. If the system needed to run for several days in a row to get to field capacity it could not do so.

Very few people really understand any of this except in golf and commercial, agricultural production in areas that depend heavily on irrigation. This is all way beyond homeowners, government, water utilities and most contractors.

Regulations in our area are designed to conserve water. My opinion and observations are that at cerawtin times of the year it actually increases water usage because people feel they must water if they have a legal day. If your watering every 2nd day and skip a watering your lawn will wait 4 days for a drink when maybe 3 would have been the right amount.

I can't even get my customers to change the run times as we go through the year. No one wants to "manage" their system or site. Set and forget is the attitude.