1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

No way around it..????

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by southtx, Feb 24, 2008.

1. southtx

southtx LawnSite Member

This past year I bought a used 48" and used it every where and it worked out great...but the only problem is it does not always work in back yards do to gate size. So I also hauled my 32" everytime I mowed and also a 21"....So in all together I carried around 3 mowers and that sucks. The reason I would carry the 32" is becase it would fit in the backyards and then the 21" would come into play when the 32" could not fit. Is there anything I can to to cut back.....I was thinking about get a new 26 exmark but I cant see that helping me much. What do yall guys think??? I hate carring all three mowers but I cant see it any other way. Can anyone coem up with anything??? I try to plan ahead but it always come up that I need to carry all 3.
  2. TomberLawn

TomberLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

I carried 3 when I went to mow at my church for the first time Thursday. I wasn't quite sure what I would need. I used the Ferris and my Cub 33". I would have used my 21" L-B, but couldn't get it to start. I drained it for winter and should have tried to crank it before going, but the 33" got me done. A couple areas would have been a little easier with a smaller, more maneuverable mower. Why do you not want to carry 3 mowers? Not enough trailer space, too much extra weight, too much to load/unload to get to something at the other end of the trailer?
  3. ProStreetCamaro

ProStreetCamaro LawnSite Platinum Member

If our 34Z wont fit through a gate we wont service the yard. Pretty simple for us. We dont even own a push mower.
  4. grassman177

grassman177 LawnSite Fanatic

i have to agree with pro street, we dont service yards we cant get into, but that is few. are you solo i take it. we have a crew taht has 36 on it for those yards, and the toher crews have 48 and 60. if we cant get it withthat then it aint worth it
  5. ChadA

ChadA LawnSite Senior Member

What I do when I dont want to carry an extra mower is try to schedule the yards that require that mower on the same day if not 2 days out of the week. Then only carry what you want the rest of the week.

The only problem this had posed for me in the past has been when I'm out mowing without my smaller mower and get a new customer in the same neighborhood im mowing in with small gate in back so I have to come back the next day with the 32". It doesn't happen often but when it does its a pain in the arse.

HOOLIE LawnSite Gold Member

I wouldn't take on anymore lawns that require the 21" at this point. On what percentage of lawns do you need the 21??? If it's not a lot then you might want to drop them.

Gate sizes seem to vary around the country from what I have read on here, so it really all depends on if you think you can get the customers without a 21.
  7. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Scheduling all same-machine yards for the day would eliminate some of the hassle, ain't gonna hurt the lawn one day or the other, if you got 20 lawns and 3 days to do them in there has to be a way to schedule them so all you have to carry with you is one machine.

That's what I do, at least between my two mowers, for the most part.

My smallest deck is a 48"
    In my case if the 48" don't fit I can't service it, but this has always been like this.
    I just don't have one, never had, but I would charge extra for having to use a smaller machine.
  8. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

I don't understand why carrying different sized machines is a problem? My 21, 36 and 60 all fit on my trailer with plenty of room to spare.

TREEGUARD LawnSite Senior Member

3 mowers shoulldn't be a problem unless u don't have a big enough trailer for it. We have 2 crews both have 3 w/b & a push mower no problem.
  10. delphied

delphied LawnSite Silver Member

I have a friend who will install a larger gate for free if the customer will buy the gate. Otherwise you carry the 21.