No WB's?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by ODUrugger, Dec 15, 2005.

1. ODUrugger

ODUrugger LawnSite Member

Wanted to throw this out there and get some feedback...

I have a 27hp 52" ZTR which handles the main brunt of my workload. And As of now, my only other is a 21".... I need an in between. The 52 does great around most my residentials, so my main concern is having the in-between mower be a 32 inch model for gate crashing. The question is this.

Do y'all think it would be a good choice to go all out and pick a 32" Wright Stander for increased production in tight spots and large backyards? Or should I pick up a normal toro 32" WB to split the difference? Would I be running "Handicapped" by having NO walkbehinds in my setup?

2. ohiolawnguy

ohiolawnguy LawnSite Senior Member

both would probably be decent machines. The real question would be one of dealer support. which dealer is more likely to have parts on hand, can give you a loaner in case of a breakdown, repair turnaround etc. etc.

3. impactlandscaping

impactlandscaping LawnSite Silver Member

If you have the $$, you can't go wrong with the Stander. It will definitely replace the trim mower, and run circles around a belt drive WB.

4. procut

procut LawnSite Bronze Member

Depends on you situation IMO. If you find yourself in a lot situations with gates where only the 32" will fit, than the stander is probably your best bet. However, if you only have a handfull of properties where your 52" ZTR is too large, than its probably more economical to go with 32" belt drive.

5. ODUrugger

ODUrugger LawnSite Member

True... Alot of the subdivisions around here have true 36" gates. I'm guessing the contractor hated LCO's... although the WB would be less money, I'm thinking the stander is probably the better option.

6. South Florida Lawns

South Florida Lawns LawnSite Platinum Member
    from usa

Thats exactly what I did. 44" toro's for main mowing and 32" standers for gated back yards. They are the best for slopes and tight areas. Its too bad I sold both of the standers this year, what a mistake that was.

Hopefully I will pick up a new one for the middle of the 06 mowing season, money has been tight lately, thats the only reason I sold em in the 1st place.

7. jtkplc

jtkplc LawnSite Silver Member

it depends on how much you would use a 32" mower, either walkbehind or stander. if that is a fair amount of your accounts, then I would get the stander, it would be much more efficient than a 32" walkbehind, especially belt driven. if you only would use a 32" mower a couple times a week for just a couple accounts, then I couldn't see where spending the extra money on a stander would pay off.

8. brucec32

brucec32 LawnSite Platinum Member

Short answer....use both.

I'm probably going to my first season of "no walk behinds on the trailer" for most routes, but will still have to use the 32" one day a week for the small gated back yards. A stander would do them fine, though, as would a 21" for many of them. But I'd feel a little strange w/o at least one midsize wb.

I am still going to keep both wb's around since their value is higher to me as backups for the riders and more importantly as mowers I can use in wet soft conditions where the riders would make a mess, than the cash I'd get from them. Every season there is a week or two like that where I HAVE to mow in wetter conditions than I'd like. Belt drives are very light and handle it well, as long as it isn't really raining and they become worthless due to belt slippage. Plus it's nice to have backups for the primary mowers so you're not thrown into chaos when there's a breakdown. A $1500 backup mower's carrying costs to you are practically nil. $100 a year, maybe.

If you have enough biz that you can turn away very hilly lots, you can make do w/o a wb.

One reason I like belt drive wb's is that they are so easy to find in good shape used. They seem to really be out of favor and cheap on the used market. One reason I'm not selling mine is that others I see are not bringing much on Ebay. But I highly suggest Toros for the easy T bar steering.

9. Jpocket

Jpocket LawnSite Silver Member

Personally I try to stay away from a ton of walkbehind work, My 48" or 32" walbehind stays on the trailer most of the day, On average I use them for one lawn per day, so on average 4-5 times per week, out of 60 accounts.

10. Tadams

Tadams LawnSite Senior Member

The helper is usually on the WB unless it's a hill that they are a little unsure of or there are some weird swells or rolls in the yard that I don't trust him on. Like someone said if you don't have any hills or gates then don't worry about it. It would be a good idea to keep an extra mower on the trailer for a back-up- a WB or a rider. IMO