No weedcloth?

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by B_gerrits, May 15, 2008.

1. B_gerrits

B_gerrits LawnSite Senior Member

I am trying to understand something. Mulch can describe a lot of different material some ve never seen like pine straw nobody sells that here. Mulch here is usually grond or shredded cedar. I sell a lot of guys posting not to use weedcloth so what do you guys use? If you put ground bark down without weedcloth out here it will be full of weeds in a month! I guess could use pre emergence but it only last a couple of months so you guys that dont use weedcloth what do you use please educate me.

2. billslawn89

billslawn89 LawnSite Bronze Member

if you make sure no weeds are growing before you apply the mulch and install the proper thickness of mulch, you should not have a problem. you will in time get a weed here and there due to weed seeds blowing in the air. i only use weed cloth/landscape fabric when putting down stone. :dancing:

3. JFF

JFF LawnSite Member

Weed cloth is a pet peeve of mine. I just despise the stuff.

As Bill said, use a chemical strait jacket.

4. PerfectEarth

PerfectEarth LawnSite Bronze Member

I agree. I HATE landscape fabric. It's a weekend-warrior product. It doesn't really stop weeds over a couple seasons, the edges always flap up or it gets exposed, desireable plant roots get confined to growing on surfaces... the stuff is horrible. I have some good pics of what weed fabric does to plants.

Get in there with some elbow grease and pull. Spray. Use pre-m. Be persistent

5. jaybird24

jaybird24 LawnSite Senior Member
    from midwest

Only place we use it is with stone. In mulch the weeds will actually grow into the fabric and then it's real fun getting out. Pre-m, roundup and elbow grease.

6. frogman18

frogman18 LawnSite Member

i use fabric to line raised beds over the gravel bottom and places that are extremely weed prone (i dont like to chemicals unless i have to).

7. gorknoids

gorknoids LawnSite Senior Member

Weed cloth generally just ensures that the weeds that grow through it have sufficient H2O. That, and it wraps up nicely around any auger bit which encounters it.

8. Merlin300

Merlin300 LawnSite Member
    from Zone 5

The mulch will eventually break down into dirt anyway. Then you will have dirt on top of weed fabric, giving the weeds some place to germinate. Kinda defeats the purpose of weed fabric.

As the others have said, weed before laying down mulch atleast 3" thick.

9. tamadrummer

tamadrummer LawnSite Bronze Member

Weed fabric is horrible unless it is going under stone.

Get a fert applicator to apply some snapshot granules and your newly mulched beds will not be having weeds for some months to come.

Just for the love of all things holy, stay away from the fabric! It is useless!!

10. Mr. Vern

Mr. Vern LawnSite Senior Member

Yeah, what these guys all said.

Also, we advise our customers to keep a bottle of Roundup mixed up and the minute you see a weed, hit it. Do this for a season and the weeds will be reduced dramatically. The problem is when a customer allows the weeds to come up and go to seed before they deal with them. If they kill them before they go to seed, eventually there won't be any seeds to germinate - except those that get blown in of course.
    Drip irrigation also helps a lot - although it has it's own pitfalls.