no working on the 5th--- dias de mayos?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by unit28, May 4, 2007.

1. unit28

unit28 LawnSite Bronze Member

some companies are shutting down because their guys are
    taking off.

I might join them.
    No different than St Partic's day:drinkup:

2. IA_James

IA_James LawnSite Silver Member
    from Iowa

Cinco de Mayo. It's the anniversary of the only victory Mexico had in whatever war it was they were fighting. They even lost the war.

3. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

And why would any US employer honor another country's holiday?

We start down this path we might as well make every day a holiday, so any employee thinking of taking off because it's their country's holiday can also take the rest of the year off.

Yup. :waving:

4. IA_James

IA_James LawnSite Silver Member
    from Iowa

Yeah, I was thinking about asking for Guy Fawkes day off this year.:laugh: You'd think if they were going to celebrate, it would at least be from a war they won.

5. LindblomRJ

LindblomRJ LawnSite Silver Member

Its in line with St. Patrick's day.

6. MarcSmith

MarcSmith LawnSite Fanatic

work on saturday...thats the weekend....:) Kidding I work on weekends occasionally...

No work, NO pay....that simple. no show with no call....no job...

7. Fantasy Lawns

Fantasy Lawns LawnSite Bronze Member

The May 5th celebration is thanks to Coors brewing ...brewed up in the 60's to promote better image with Hispanic's n create a reason to have college kids drink ... alot of beer

The May 5th ... marks the Battle of Puebla ... when Mexicans beat the yellow out of the French ...n sent Napoleon back to Europe ... which is cool ...cause who know's what language we'd be speaking if the French took over Mexico

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Puebla

A common but not really understood fact is .... the true independence day fore Mexico is Sept 15-16th.... not May 5th .... when the Mexican prez declared the Battle of Puebla a day of celebration (a national) but not a Federal Holiday in Mexico

N on another note ... we don't work Saturdays anways ... so it give me even a better reason too go out n have some fun ... play pool n chase some skirt

8. David Hartzog

David Hartzog Banned

i hate holidays. sounds like excuses to me. i tell the guys i ain't gonna stop 'em from going to MLK parades or drinking on Labor day, but if they want $$$ they can find me blowing empty office parking lots. i even blow lots on Thankgiving and Christmas! (think about it...the kids are busy with their toys...they don't care about me!:) ) the only one i ever take off is the 4th! i love me some grillin'

:usflag:

9. jpp

jpp LawnSite Silver Member

I will work during the day and might go out at night. This is not a holiday for me. I got nothing out of it so I am not celebrating a thing other than another week of work is done.

10. C&K

C&K LawnSite Senior Member
    from East TN

:drinkup:
    No one takes St. Patrick's Day off. They take the day after!