NOAA + 30 Day Outlook

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by americanlawn, Oct 28, 2007.

1. americanlawn

americanlawn LawnSite Fanatic
    from midwest

Anybody else check the National Weather Service for extended outlooks? We sure do -- especially this time of year in fear of snowfall preventing us from getting all our treatments & aerations done (not so much for precipitation, but rather regarding temps).

rscvp, thanks:usflag:

2. Victor

Victor LawnSite Bronze Member

What does it say Larry?

3. americanlawn

americanlawn LawnSite Fanatic
    from midwest

Next 30 days = above normal temps for the upper Midwest.

4. carcrz

carcrz LawnSite Silver Member

yup. weather's supposed to stay the same. Now, if only it could be about 80* here year round. I hate that fluffy stuff. It does pay good though.

5. MStine315

MStine315 LawnSite Senior Member

I look at accuweather's 15 day forecast. Mid-week next week (8th, 9th) high of 40, lows in the low 20's. Time to pull sprayers out! Will be done doing liquid apps. tomm. or Tues. anyway, so good timing for me.

6. tjsquickcuts

tjsquickcuts LawnSite Senior Member
    from Atlanta

I try and watch the weather forecast like a Hawk because not only do I need to forecast certain treatments, but also for my morning Golf. Heck, we are suppose to be Warmer and drier then normal all winter. I think we are all expecting a freeze soon, but I think for the most part its going to be warm. Last year wasn't all that cold until we got into April, and had that killer frost to come thru and damage turf, trees, and shrubs. But I think for anyone doing Lawn treatments, watching the weather is just as important as scheduling customers. With this dry summer we had this year, we held back on all Fert apps until right before it rained. I would drop everything on our schedule and we would go fert n crazy.....but we did get fooled once this year when the weather man said it was a 70% chance of and we got nothing.....Even burned a few lawns that week, but once we got rain they all bounced back. We just finished up our Pre Emergent Treatments, and will hope to finish up with our last apps right after thanks giving.

7. rcreech

rcreech Sponsor
    Male, from OHIO

I also watch it very closely, but only pay attention about 5 days ahead.

The farther you go out on weather....the less accurate it is. Ours even changes dramatically sometimes within a few days.

I look at it mostly for high temps in the summer so I know what days I am not going to be able to spray from the heat. I also try and plan my larger seeding before a rain because they will not be able to be watered.

I watch the wind speeds more then anything! I always check the wind speeds the night before and if the wind is over 5-7 mph, I will switch my truck over to seed (not now because it is too late), aerate or whatever else is needed that day.

8. tjsquickcuts

tjsquickcuts LawnSite Senior Member
    from Atlanta

We had wind gust up to 30 mph last week, and I saw TG out spraying aways, with drifts going all over the place. I just shook my head and kept riding. I can just imagine how much of the control drifted into the landscape area near the trees an shrubs that are already hurting and very thristy. But great point because wind speed is very important.