Nobody needs a job......

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by Lawn-Scapes, Apr 16, 2005.

1. Lawn-Scapes

Lawn-Scapes LawnSite Silver Member

I placed a help wanted ad in the paper which started today. I received just one response in my voice mail and it didn't sound too promising. I can't believe nobody needs a job............?

My goal of expanding is not going as planned. I put out a couple thousand fliers this spring and only received a handful of responses... which equated to only 2 mulch jobs. Looks like I may remain solo for another year. :(

2. grassmanvt

grassmanvt LawnSite Senior Member

3. Eric 1

Eric 1 LawnSite Bronze Member

I feel your pain, i have only got 3 new jobs this year of dozens bid. I need some more work badly. It seems to be the same every were. I was going to go full time this year because i am graduating, but it looks like it may not happen. :cry:

People figure why work for you when they could just start there own lawn business.

Something has got to give, this is getting crazy. :help: :dizzy:

4. paponte

paponte LawnSite Silver Member

Yeah, my problem is not the work but rather the competent people to get it done. I have been looking for another maintenance foreman for months now. Good workers keep getting harder and harder to find. ;)

5. Eddie B

Eddie B LawnSite Senior Member
    from gone

Lawn-Scapes, Where in MD are you? I only mow 3 days a week, and may be interested in helping.

6. Updog

Updog LawnSite Member

I havn't had the problem with finding work just finding good people to work. I wouldn't advertise in the paper though you get every bottomdweller out there calling you. I just ask around if anyone knows of someone needing to work. I like guys with no experience they are easier to train.

7. Lawn-Scapes

Lawn-Scapes LawnSite Silver Member

Ed... I'm in Carroll County. Probably too far.

I'm feel the opposite. I'd rather have someone with experience. No time or patience to train.

8. Itsgottobegreen

Itsgottobegreen LawnSite Silver Member

Your not the only one is Carroll county with this problem. I swear there are 20 new guys in mount airy alone this year. I got offers from a two buddies to come work for them a few days a week as a crew chief because I am coming up short with work.

The only good news is my neighbor is a property manager and wants me to bid on a 450 unit apartment complex in Baltimore. Buts its an hour away.

Lost quite a few account this year. @#$%##^*&#%$%*&*(&^ scabs. :gunsfirin :gunsfirin :gunsfirin It scab season.

9. dkeisala

dkeisala LawnSite Senior Member

Move to the Northwest - I put an ad in the paper last month, got about 50 phone calls, interviewed about 25 of those for just one open position.

10. ArizPestWeed

ArizPestWeed LawnSite Bronze Member

put an add in the hispanic paper