Nobody said plumbers were smart....

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by SprinklerGuy, Nov 22, 2006.

1. Another straggler blowout today...I asked the guy to drain the system and I would get to it next week....he insisted there was no way to turn off the valve in the basement....I decided to go look.....

First pic is of the ball valve hitting the water heater.....he was right, can't turn it off....2nd pic is the oki rig fix....

Look closely and you'll see that the drain is on the wrong side.....sigh.

He told me plumber replaced the valve and the WH at the same time....wtf?

ballvalvewaterheater 002.jpg

ballvalvewaterheater 003.jpg

2. Dirty Water

Dirty Water LawnSite Fanatic

I like your fix.

If I had more time, I'd probably have cut the valve out rotated it 90 degree's and sweated in two couplers.

However, doing blowouts, doing what you did is exactly what I would have probably done :)

3. Allure

Allure LawnSite Senior Member

it is funny, but to me the fittings on the water heater look pretty new. I wonder if it's a dif. size than what might have been there when the valve was installed. Probably still a plumbers fault. maybe one of those home depot contractors:laugh:

4. sildoc

sildoc LawnSite Silver Member

I am unable to count on my hands how many of those valves I see like that every year during turn off time. That is cheaper for the homeowner than completely redoing it. I just can't believe the homeowner didn't think of that.

5. PurpHaze

PurpHaze LawnSite Fanatic

Plumbers love to bend the handles on brass ball valves. :)

6. DanaMac

DanaMac LawnSite Fanatic

Was that the one I sent you yesterday!!!

7. No..this guy found me on Google....called me right before you......;)
    Lives in Black For.......erm, Fountain, yeah Fountain that's it.

He did find me on Google......Powers corridor...

The guy you sent me was earlier today...I had 2 scheduled straggs...and 2 unscheduled straggs.....

I think I'm done?

8. NC_Irrigator

NC_Irrigator LawnSite Bronze Member
    from NC

couldnt you have taken the handle off and flipped it around

9. sildoc

sildoc LawnSite Silver Member

I never thought of that. Most of the time when I see these they are cramed in a valvebox somewhere and turning them around would produce the same results. Here turning it around would work since there is unlimited space above.
    Good observation.

10. DanaMac

DanaMac LawnSite Fanatic

You can, but then the stop points on the handle don't line up right on the brass body.