NOCDC Rubber Chute Cover?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by LAWN WORX, Dec 1, 2003.

1. LAWN WORX

LAWN WORX LawnSite Member

Long time reader, first time poster. (finally, somehow, got activated)

OK was down at the toro $tealer the other day asking about a mulching kit for my 200 Z and 44 hydro. $300 some? EACH! what? wtf? I just can't do it. Not that I can't afford it but certain things that seem overpriced just plainly @iss me off and i just am not going to pay $300 + tax plus some other stuff he was talking about trying to sell me. When he got my drift, he said why don't you put a piece of rubber in front of the chute opening to block it. Has anyone done this? if yes does it work? type of rubber? fastening method? Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

I did a search on OCDC(?sp) and read alot of stuff but I could not find anything that just keeps the chute closed.

Which in turn brings me to more questions.

Why would you want to open the chute door? Wet grass?
    Why not just mulch continuously?

The reason I am asking is that I don't really care about the convenience of having to open the chute unless I have to. If I can make one out of some type of rubber or metal and screw it on the chute flanges it seems like that would work. Also blade recommendations with a setup like this would be appreciated.

By the way this is an awesome forum! PRICELESS.
    Thanks.
    :blob3:

2. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

Putting a block in front of the chute is not the same thing as true mulching. While it does grind the stuff up, it also leaves clumps and trails of material under the right side of the deck, because this is where all the material gathers. With a mulching kit, dividers are put under the deck, forming individual chambers for each blade, and there is no flow between them. However, with true mulching set-ups, to help answer your question, they do not work well in reall thick and or wet or long grass. Side discharge is the best universal method. Mulching kits DO work well on regular mowing when there is not that much growth, and they do work well on leaves, however, it is still recommended that leaf material is picked up if it's too heavy, and can choke out the turf.

3. NCSULandscaper

NCSULandscaper Banned

Howdy neighbor. If you want a better deal possibly call Right of Way Equipment in Raleigh. They have good deals on Toro products and parts. I get all my equipment from them now. The best customer service in the area.

4. Premo Services

Premo Services LawnSite Bronze Member

DITTO*DITTO*DITTO*DITTO
    The man is right on the money, I agree :D
    I have tried the plate to close the chute and it did not work at all.....:angry:

5. LAWN WORX

Runner/Premo
    Thanks I get the drift. Both of the toros have sfs decks 44 wb and 52 ztr. Best to use single hi lift blades? are the mulching toro blades not really doing anything? doesn't seem like it. What's with the double blades? worth it?

NCSU Landscaper

whatsup? i use row for most of my purchases and they do have the best prices. the only thing is that they are way on the other side of town so i dont get there as often and when i do i spend too much. Hey, good to see that pack symbol floating around. did you go to NCSU? i got out in 84.

Guys thanks again

6. NCSULandscaper

NCSULandscaper Banned

Class of 2001 in Ornamentals and Landscape Technology

Ive got the 44" sfs deck and the high lift gator blades work the best i think. In the dry summer months i switch to a medium lift regular blade to cut down on the dust. Leaf season its nothing but gators and spring growth is regular high lifts.

7. I got a mulching kit with a used Toro I bought. I tried it this year on leaves and it was great! Next year I'll use it with Gator blades. I don't know what mine would cost, but after using it I'd pay it.

My WB didn't have a mulching kit option so I copied the Toro design and made one. It works! I can't use double blades with it though. Too much lift.

Have you seen the mulch adaptor in person or just a picture of it? You might have something similar fabricated. Your Toro decks should be pre-drilled where the thing would mount.

'Round here the bluegrass really cloggs anything that mulches. I can only mulch leaves. Usually mow first, install the mulcher, then mulch leaves. Yours would be a lot drier.

Sorry I don't have a better pic of the one I made. It's heavy gage expanded steel mesh and about 1" x 1/8" bar stock.

smbyers, accelerator.jpg

8. 1st Class Lawns

1st Class Lawns LawnSite Member

I bought mulching kits for both my 52" walk behind and 52" Z Master from Clays Power Equipment for about $150 each.
    I buy all of my equipment from Clays.
    James
    1st Class Lawn Service

9. LAWN WORX

$150 each? There must have been a misquote or misunderstanding. i think I'll check back and reverify. Maybe he was talking about both together for $300. Might be what happened. there was a lot of people around that day commotion). Is that installed? or did you install urself? easy?

I have not seen the mulch adapter in person nor a picture of it. The only pictures I have seen are the masterchute, qwikchute.

With the mulching kit do you have the option of not mulching if you open the chute? or is it once u install it u r stuck to mulching only?

1st class- I buy half at clays half at ROW. It seems that ROW has better prices. I paid $about $300 less for my 52 there and they seem to work on price better. I like clays and go there alot but one of the problems i have is that i'm scared to pull the 350 long bed with the 16' trailer in there (not sure if i can make it in or be able to get back out).

Thanks again for the input.