NOFA 5-day Accreditation Course in Organic Land Care

Discussion in 'Organic Lawn Care' started by ICT Bill, Dec 4, 2007.

1. ICT Bill

ICT Bill LawnSite Platinum Member

absolutely, all are welcome
    They have a one day introduction course that they started doing 3 years ago. It started off in the gym of a local school, last year they had to move to 2 gyms in 2 high schools because there were so many people registered

2. Elden

Elden LawnSite Member

I would hate to make that far of a trip for one day. Are there any sister organizations that do training like they do there, but closer to the SE?

3. ICT Bill

You would have to look on their website or call someone from NOFA
    I believe they have 5, 2 and 1 day courses.
    My comment about the expansion and success of their program was just underlining what a great organization they are and how well their program has been received

I am not aware of groups like them in the SE, you might look at acresusa.com, this group is mostly comprised of farmers but may have some groups in the SE

4. lawncuttinfoo

lawncuttinfoo LawnSite Bronze Member

Anyone know if there is an organic accrediting organization like this in Minnesota?

5. ICT Bill

This issue is something I have been trying to get my head around for a while. There are no national training centers for this type of thing. all states have a pesticide training and accredidation course but not a course on how not to be certified to not use pesticides, if you catch my drift.

If I find it you will be the first to know

6. Keegan

Keegan LawnSite Senior Member
    from CT

ICT-

are you a member of the ecological assoc too?

7. ICT Bill

Ecological Landscapers Association (ELA) Yep, we will be there in Springfield in March at their show. The ELA folks shot off from NOFA and focus on landscapes, I believe the farming side of NOFA was not quite the focus for the landscape guys so they formed their own group.

8. phasthound

phasthound LawnSite Platinum Member

A client of mine just called me while driving back to Jersey after taking the NOFA Landcare class & Certification test. He was stumped by one of the test questions that asked about the life cyle of an insect pest. Not being from New England, he had never heard of the Winter Moth & got the question wrong. Wish he could have called me during the test.;)

Anyway, he thought the course was great.