NOFA Organic Turf Management Workshop

Discussion in 'Organic Lawn Care' started by ICT Bill, Sep 29, 2008.

1. ICT Bill

ICT Bill LawnSite Platinum Member

If you haven't heard Chip speak you should not miss it, Todd has great field experience and will talk for hours on it

NOFA Organic Turf Management Workshop
    November 20, 2008
    7:45am - 4:30pm
    CT Agricultural Experiment Station
    Jones Auditorium
    123 Huntington St.
    New Haven, CT
    Join NOFA and speaker Chip Osborne for a workshop on
    Organic Turf Management specifically tailored for School Grounds Keepers and Municipal Employees.

Come learn how to:
    • Successfully transition to Organic Management
    • Budget and manage for a natural program
    • Create healthy, durable turf
    • Comply with Connecticut's new legislation extending to athletic fields July 2009
    Featuring " Experience from Within" Case studies presented by Bill Duesing, Todd Harrington and Jerry Silbert who will talk about their experiences successfully transitioning towns' and schools' athletic fields to organic.

To register visit: www.organiclandcare.net or call 203-888-5146

2. treegal1

treegal1 LawnSite Gold Member

are these the same guys that want to sell a franchise, and more product. lets see 10 tons of compost @ 20 $=200$ plus water say 300 gallons= 75$, add the 2 together and then you have 1 tote of extract for 2000$ or more +SHIPPING.

seems last time I was around some of these folk it was a lot of "our proprietary" stuff floating around, or a dvd with some sales guy, and his left hand out just so that you know he is not shaking hands. let me have a house sized fee to get you started on buying premade stuff

just tell me one of these programs that has the recycling program built in

3. treegal1

oct 24,
    Open questions and sod farm tour(organic) till 5:00 then its a power point on bio fuels.
    oct 25,coffee,then we build your own compost tea brewer, you can just watch or really build your own, bring your tank or use mine after 11:00 we are going to do the fast worm how to and demo, with the flat pack worm bed on display, and see how to harvest and store casts. then we eat a great lunch, meat or fish from Ians tropical grill. then we move on to compost, in the field with at least 6 ways to do it( with little or no machine, if you want). we will try and cover most of the basics to get a great compost pile going and managed correctly. bio diesel plant demo, and a bio char retort demo(with real fire and smoke), plus some of the coolest pics I have gathered from all over, dinner and camp fire or you can just go back to your hotel and sleep(I don't do that much)
    oct 26, 8:00 blessing and coffee, then we jump into local materials use and how to use different raw materials, make your own fish oil and other special brews from what you have in your area, bone char, wood ash,water plants and sea weed,and and and... then some lunch and its on to weeds, the very weakest point in most care plans. after that we load up every one brewers and compost, tour a tree farm(organic) and say fare well to every one that came or go deep sea fishing on the lady Stuart.

I know where I will be at.........

4. ICT Bill

No not safelawns, it is NOFA. Todd has been a member for forever.

Trusted advisors for sure, not a franchise pitch. These guys are the real deal

5. treegal1

6. treegal1

1 compost extractor=9K$

WinslowT2-2006compressed.jpg

Last edited: Sep 30, 2008
  7. treegal1

the only advice I ever got was to get a franchise and stop asking about how its made.......

8. ICT Bill

9. treegal1

eh what do i care let them have the MA and CT area.....................

Last edited: Sep 30, 2008
  10. wallzwallz

wallzwallz LawnSite Senior Member

Treegal, I can't say NOFA ever pushed any franchises on anyone. Todd is just one of many speakers. Almost all the teacher/speakers own their own business or are scientist/doctor field related. Chip and Bill are great guys. Chip is involved w/ The living lawn project in Marblehead,MA. They have towns sending their employees, who work and supervise town grounds, to learn the Organic way.NOFA has been a great experience for me.