Noise protection with am/fm radio

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by GarPA, Mar 5, 2002.

1. GarPA

GarPA LawnSite Silver Member
    from PA

I've been looking at some of those ear protection headsets with the am/fm radio...I've always just used ear plugs but I like the idea of being able to have talk radio on while I work. Couple of questions to those who have tried these:

Are they unsafe in that you can't hear if something breaks or someone calls to you?...probably wont thear them anyway on a Z.

Are there any brands that work well that are reasonably priced...some of these I saw in direct order mags are well over $150 more....I'd really like to buy one if you can point me to a decent one .....thanks much

2. mdb landscaping

mdb landscaping LawnSite Silver Member

I have elvex ear muffs with the radio. i dont know how i did without them. they are the best thing in the world. Elvex is one of the bigger companies making them and mine have held up well. ive even dropped them quite a few times and no problems. i think they costed me $139 but it is well worth it. as far as hearing the equipment, i dont have any problems. especially in the fall when you have to hear your back pack blower to make sure the intake doesnt get blocked with leaves, you can tell even with the radio on. once you get a pair, you will love em. they make ones that are rechargeable, but the batteries last a good month or two on mine.

3. GarPA

GarPA LawnSite Silver Member
    from PA

MDB...where did you purchase yours? I'd like to go and "touch" them rather than buy on line but I cant imagine any stores selling these ?? thanks

4. mdb landscaping

mdb landscaping LawnSite Silver Member

i got mine at landscapers supply. not sure if you have any in your area, but maybe lescos in your area will have them? some dealers carry them as well. i dont really know whats in your area, but they are in the landscapers supply catalog, am leonards i think, and a few others. maybe somebody from your area will know?

5. LAWNS AND MOWER

LAWNS AND MOWER LawnSite Bronze Member

MDB-- My noise protection system is pretty simple. I bought a set of Radio Shack Racing Headphones for $50. The cord is really short, which is nice because it won't get tangled up in shrubs, trees, etc... and there's a volume control on the headset. I then bought a Sony CD walkman for $79 that fits in my pocket. It hardly skips at all. At first I was concerned about not being able to hear noises such as if the mower started making a strange noise, but after a while you get used to it and you can tell by the vibrations of the mower if something is wrong. You could buy a Sony AM/FM Walkman if you choose to listen to radio as opposed to CD's.

LAWNS AND MOWER

PS This setup works great if you want to ignore a pesty customer!!!!

6. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

I have what MDB has, the Elvex. Some guys use the Peltors, as they offer AM. As for hearing someone, if you wear hearing protection, you'll be able to hear them the rest of your life! If you do what LAWNS & MOWER does, you'll be deaf in 20 years!

I've previously did the walkman thing for around 10 years. Keeps you occupied, but does very little for sound supression. Then I got smart and have been using the Elvex's for about 4 seasons. I have hearing loss (rock band manager/enthusiast) for a few years, so that didn't help any standing next to 1000W 20" speakers a few times a week :rolleyes: .

Anyway...I find myself questioning what people say from time to time, and I'm only 31. I'm doing whatever I can do to prevent any further loss. Only downside with the hearing protectors, is the WHITE ears, when the rest of your face is nice and tan :D

Use them NOW or regret it later!!!

7. LAWNS AND MOWER

What did you say??? Speak up, I can't hear you Tommy. You say I'll go deaf in 20 years? Uh, ok? I'd rather go deaf listening to music as opposed to listening to a loud commercial mower or even better, a backpack blower. As I mentioned above, there's a thing called VOLUME CONTROL on the headset. Use common sense and adjust as needed.

LAWNS AND MOWER

8. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

LAWNS & MOWER,

What I was getting at was that your system does not block out/supress the harmfull noise, only covers it up with music. With the safety hearing protectors, music volume is very low, but thats OK because it is blocking out 25-27 db of the harmfull outside noise.

9. LAWNS AND MOWER

I beg to differ. These headphones are designed to block out all outside noises. That's why they're called Racing Headphones. Spectators at Nascar races wear these headphones to block out the noise of the racecars and then at the same time listen to the race on the radio. I can have these headphones on without any music playing and still can't hear my mower running. Give em a try!!!!!

LAWNS AND MOWER

10. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

Sorry, my bad :eek: I didn't think Radio Smack (can I have your zip code please? :rolleyes: ) even offered something like this. This sounds pretty nice, except for the cord getting caught on tree limbs, plus where do you put the walkman (radio) part? Lap, or a neck strap?

For $69 you can get the Peltor AM/FM's that also have a input jack for CD's if you feel the need.