noise

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by spray-head-dave, Mar 26, 2003.

1. spray-head-dave

spray-head-dave LawnSite Member

Is there any way to make the inside plumbing work more quiet when the system is running??

2. yes...obtain the water for the sprinkler system prior to the plumbing entering the home. If you use the "back hose bibb" or any outside hosebibb for water...the water will then have to run through the house to get to the sprinklers...that causes the noise.

3. MikeK

MikeK LawnSite Member

Yeah.... kind of tough to get to the water source before it enters the home here in the North as the line is 5 feet down.

I've often wondered about this and although I've never tried these, my guess is that the folowing should help.

1. If you have a 3/4 Inch line, upgrade to a 1 inch. This will reduce the velocity of flowin the pipe and should in theory cut down on the noise.

2. Insulate the pipe.

3. If the noise is most prevlant when the valves shut o ff, install a water hammer arrester.

4. I'm told that CPVC is much more quiet than copper. We are going to instal a system this spring that has this roughed out the side. However, the piping seems a lettle too flexible to me and I'm wondering if it will wiggle all over the place when the valves turn on and off.

Anyone have expierence with CPVC inside a home?

4. spray-head-dave

spray-head-dave LawnSite Member

Mike, I usually go up to 1 inch copper; don't know about cpvc never used it

5. turfman59

turfman59 LawnSite Senior Member

I thought CPVC was just for hot water plumbing? its the stuff that has a yellowish cast color to it, and PVC is the pure white pipe that is for cold water and has a larger inside pipe diameter..

6. greenworldh20

greenworldh20 LawnSite Senior Member

insulating the pipes will do the trick. if you really do not want to hear the water then plumb the system in at the place that will use the least amount of pipe.

short runs are quiet ones.

brian