noisey little wonder

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by mowingtowing, Jan 21, 2006.

1. mowingtowing

mowingtowing LawnSite Member

Look at what I found in my little wonder on friday, luckley it was the last job that needed the 13hp.:gunsfirin

little wonder and vacuum mount 008 resized.jpg

2. Pecker

Pecker LawnSite Bronze Member

Wow! What is that? And what exactly is that a picture? Looks trashed whatever it is. . .

3. steve45

steve45 LawnSite Bronze Member

Sucked a valve...

4. mowingtowing

sorry if the picture isnt very clear, if i had more of the motor in the pic it would be more obvious. Exhaust valve broke clean off from the stem and decided to mate with the piston.
    dont know exactly how it happened, had the motor set for 3400 rpms and the engine had about 350 hrs on it. Maybe the previous owner over reved it and weakened it. I effectively paid about 500 for the blower and ive got a new motor comming for 700 with freight, still less then a brand new 13hp little wonder

5. J&R Landscaping

J&R Landscaping LawnSite Fanatic

At least it aint the Fall! You can somewhat affod to have it die now rather than in peak leaf season!

6. TURFLORD

TURFLORD LawnSite Senior Member

Let me guess? Briggs and Stratton. Oh, how the mighty have fallen.

7. mowingtowing

no, it was a 13 hp Honda
    The first 4 stroke motor to give me this kind of trouble

8. MysticLandscape

MysticLandscape LawnSite Bronze Member

I see it, dam what kind of noise did that thing make when it went....

9. mowingtowing

clankity clankity clankity clankity pop pop pop clankity clank clank clank....

10. steve45

steve45 LawnSite Bronze Member

Happens to airplane engines all too often. I've heard various theories, mostly fuel, but I don't really know. Airplane engines use a highly leaded fuel, which is supposed to lubricate the valve seats. Don't know how this would relate to a valve stem failure. Perhaps the valve was sticking, preventing the valve from closing off combustion gases and cooling the stem between cycles. (Boy, that sounds good, doesn't it?)