Noisy deck

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by ProLawns, Apr 11, 2008.

1. ProLawns

ProLawns LawnSite Senior Member

Anyone running a Toro turbo force deck bothered by the noise. Mine puts out a horrible roar even with hearing protection. I'm using both ear plugs and ear muffs and the plugs are very uncomfortable.

2. jaybird24

jaybird24 LawnSite Senior Member
    from midwest

All decks are loud. but yeah we have those decks and it's like a helicopter is taking off.

3. Frue

Frue LawnSite Bronze Member

mine also I think its from the extra long belt they use from the back all the way to the front

4. Jonathan bradley

Jonathan bradley LawnSite Member

hi I also have got the toro turbo force deck but i don't think its very noisy in fact its quieter than all my other mowers

5. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

If you have a roar, it may be a bad spindle. It should be a smooth howl.

6. ProLawns

I actually took the blades off then started it up and engadged the PTO and there wasn't any noise plus it's a brand new deck. Then I installed the blades one at a time starting it up each time and the roar started after the third blade was installed. It's the air flow. I'll try lower lift blades and dropping the rpm a little. I also took out the front baffle which helped slightly but that may affect the cut.

7. jaybird24

from midwest

Is this when your cutting grass or just sitting on concrete? They do sound much quieter when actually cutting.

8. ProLawns

When cutting.

9. jaybird24

from midwest

Let us know what you find out with the different blades. Also check to make sure they are balanced, I've had new ones that the hole was not centered on. I remember thinking the same thing when we first got one, maybe I've gotten used to it.

10. Two Seasons

Two Seasons LawnSite Senior Member

Have you considered that one or more of your blades are out of balance?

Just because a blade is new doesn't mean it's balanced.