1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Nominate a Commercial Mower for Best of All Time

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing Equipment' started by MBDiagMan, Sep 1, 2013.

1. MBDiagMan

MBDiagMan LawnSite Senior Member

603turfdepot started a thought provoking thread about the best mowers of all time and it was quite interesting to read, and presented a good list, but apparently based on a limited amount of data.

It made me think about how to compile some data from a broader source of mower users, which is represented by the very users that are on this forum.

SO, how about posting some make and models as nominations. Once we have at least a few nominations for a particular mower, we can consider that a nomination, and after getting some nominations, we can start a poll thread. Polls can be made with up to 20 choices, so maybe by Spring, we can have Enough nominations for a broad based poll.

In an effort to remain a neutral umpire for this effort, I will save my own experience and opinion until all a large number of nominations are offered.

With a possible choice of 20 nominations, there should be plenty of room for even obscure choices so feel free to make your nominations and state your case for that make/model.

Enter your favorites and state your case.
    Larry

2. Vecchio Lawn Care

Vecchio Lawn Care LawnSite Senior Member

Scag turf tiger w/ 29hp Kawasaki liquid cooled DFI.

3. jsslawncare

jsslawncare LawnSite Bronze Member

Why? Everyone's just going to list the one they are running. Here's mine a 1999 Ferris WB belt drive. The good- I can cut every yard, and stripes pretty. The bad- I get to take the day off when it rains. And no I'm not trying to sell Ferris products.

4. williams lcm

williams lcm LawnSite Bronze Member

Without a good operator these machines are useless. I have seen the best cutting machines leave a crappy cut because operator does not know how to slow down or scalps all over the place. Or never sharpens blades to get a crisp cut. Yes these machine are designed to cut nice but I see a lot of lco's that cut crappy and blame it on the machine(then giving the machine a bad reputation or review) So next time you see a guy on a name brand piece equipment cutting the roadways leaving clumps of grass and stragglers it might be a bad operator and not machine.

5. Mowingman

Mowingman LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Texas

I owned a lot of brands, and sizes, of mowers before I retired from mowing.
    I think one of the best ZTR mowers ever produced, and still in production, if the Grasshopper 721D. These machine are well designed, easy to operate and easy to service. They have a good ride and a good cut. The 721D can last for years in heavy use, with proper maintenance. I have seen numerous 721D mowers that are nearly 20 years old, in daily use.

6. MBDiagMan

MBDiagMan LawnSite Senior Member

It's a poor workman that blames his tools.

7. Murray, the best hands down.

8. Southern grass

Southern grass LawnSite Member

Murray's leave the prettiest striping of all the mowers out there and the snappers that will ride a wheely are my pick

9. GMLC

GMLC LawnSite Platinum Member

The Scag Turf Tiger has stood the test of time.

10. Ridin' Green

Ridin' Green LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Michigan

I have to agree with this post. We were just looking at a beautiful yard that some friends of ours have last evening, but the guy that cuts it goes too fast according to our friend, and it is evident in the terracing on dips and humps and in the overall QOC. If the guy had the gauge wheels on his deck set correctly instead of all the way up to avoid banging them on roots etc, the terracing would have been either eliminated or held to an absolute minimum.

I also agree with GMLC-

the Turf Tiger has been around for a long time, virtually unchanged, and it still is one of the best machines out there.