Non-Compete Clause in Contract's

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by agrostis, Jun 9, 2014.

1. agrostis

agrostis LawnSite Silver Member

2. 32vld

32vld LawnSite Gold Member

My opinion is that if I had an a employee I would not care if he left to go work for another Landscaper.

Though if he left to start his own business I would want a no compete so he can not take away any of my customers for a period of say two years.

Let him go out and find his own customers.

That is fair to him and me.

3. alldayrj

alldayrj LawnSite Gold Member

But its pretty much unenforceable in lawn care unless they photocopy your client sheet

4. Dr. Cornwallis

Dr. Cornwallis LawnSite Senior Member

These things are basically BS. They rarely hold up unless an employee is blatantly stealing clients or proprietary company information. I don't really see how this is enforceable in the lawn business short of someone copying you're client list and targeting them specifically.

5. snomaha

snomaha LawnSite Senior Member
    from midwest

Non compete for employees - no. Non solicit for employees -yes.

Start your own company - sure. Come after clients you serviced while working for me - no!

6. RoyalTree

RoyalTree LawnSite Member

It is definitely enforceable. It is not really for labor but for management in this business. If we have an account manager that tries to leave and take customers with him to the competition it will be a problem. Account managers often get job offers from the competition with the condition that they deliver certain properties or a certain dollar amount from their employer.
    Posted via Mobile Device

7. grassmonkey0311

grassmonkey0311 LawnSite Silver Member
    from MD/NC

To an extent, your right. BUT, the non compete has to be VERY well written. Otherwise, it can easily be fought that "you can't deny someone the right to work".

This happened to me a few years ago. I worked in management for a company and was let go. A competitor had contacted me to work for them, I faxed over my non compete. The competitor had their lawyers look it over, and I was turned down. The non compete I had signed was VERY in depth. I think total it was 4 pages. I also contacted lawyers, who most said the same thing, while others said they think they had a good case. In the end, it wasn't worth the hassle and money, I chose a different career.

To an average laboror, a non compete clause will not hold up. It would be like saying a McDonalds employee can't work at Burger King. Enforcing them on a mid level or higher level manager can and will work, but must be well written.

I have included in my employee handbook that company information is not to be discussed with non company personel. I also have a non solicit in place.

8. 32vld

32vld LawnSite Gold Member

Explain the details of how your non solicit and how it works.

I would have no problem with an employee going out on his own. As long as he is not taking any of my customers with him.

9. grassmonkey0311

grassmonkey0311 LawnSite Silver Member
    from MD/NC

I feel the same way. Here is whats in my handbook.

Confidential and Company-Owned Information
    The protection of confidential business information is vital to the interests and success of the company. We expect you to keep this information confidential. Non-public information related to the company’s business must not be published or given out without the consent of XXX Landscaping prior review and consent. This obligation continues after you leave the company. Solicitation of current/former customers during and after employment is prohibited. Any information published or given out, as well as solicitation without XXX Landscaping consent could result in legal action.

10. ztman

ztman LawnSite Bronze Member

Don't know who wrote you handbook language GrassM. but in my opinion the non solicitation would not be enforceable because, among other things, there is no time duration , thus it would be deemed too broad in scope., therefore unreasonable and unenforceable

Last edited: Jun 10, 2014