Non compete

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by chris erwin, Sep 11, 2012.

1. chris erwin

chris erwin LawnSite Member

Hi I bought a business in the beginning of the season. The guy that sold it to be swore up and down that he was tired of landscaping and wasn't going to do it. I guess about a month later he hooks up with his buddy and suddenly I start losing about 20 percent of the accounts all in his town. Since then I have pictures of his equipment and his worker doing work on the accounts he sold at $200 per in good faith. As much as I'd like to jam his hand under a mower deck I have current legal problems and can't afford anymore. Was thinking small claims court? Anyone have any suggestions?

2. Hawkshot99

Hawkshot99 LawnSite Senior Member

Did you have him sign a non-compete as part of the sale? If not then dont waste your time.

3. grandview (2006)

grandview (2006) LawnSite Gold Member

Can't tell a person who they can hire. If he's working for another company, tough luck.

4. branchoutshrub

branchoutshrub LawnSite Member

I think the customer can hire whom ever they want. Do a better job at a great price and the business will take off!

5. chris erwin

I thought verbal agreements were binding. But whatever world filled with scumbags. The tone of the response makes it seem like it's ok to sell something and go steal it back few weeks later. He set the price had a 11 year relationship with them in a lot of cases they were neighbors of course they going to hire him back.

6. chris erwin

Sorry slightly bitter but thanks for the responses anyway

7. Dave does lawns

Dave does lawns LawnSite Senior Member

Hey Chris

I think that is a ****** this to do but although not easy, move past it, and learn from it.

Ever heard of round up ice cubes ;)

8. chris erwin

Thanks Dave

9. ztman

ztman LawnSite Bronze Member

Live and learn, in the future get a written agreement with a non compete, and /or a client retention clause tied into the purchase price

10. chris erwin

Z I expected to lose gpfew accounts during transition just not slightly over 20% to the idiot scum bag I bought it from