1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Non Compete

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by jshardy, Nov 24, 2012.

1. jshardy

jshardy LawnSite Member

We are in the process of purchasing a smaller lawn maintenance company. Does anyone have a copy of a non compete contract that they are willing to share. Thanks

2. Monroe74

Monroe74 LawnSite Senior Member

All thou non competes are nice on paper they are only for honest people. They aren't worth the paper they are written on. All he has to do is say he is working for his wife or son and he is back in the game. Consumers are free to go where they want.

3. Duekster

Duekster LawnSite Fanatic
    from DFW, TX

Ways to protect include not paying 100% for the client list. I would pay part up front, part in 6 months and part in 12 months based on how many clients stay with you.

I also think no raid / no solicitation is more effective. He can compete he just can not chase your clients. You can try non-competes but I would just try to keep him out of your service area by 10 miles for 2 years. People have a right to work and eat.

4. ptjackson

ptjackson LawnSite Member

Agree with Duekster. Non-Competes aren't really enforceable so look for other ways to accomplish the same thing

5. NEW CITY LAWN CARE LLC

NEW CITY LAWN CARE LLC LawnSite Bronze Member

What about something for employees? Shouldn't they have to sign something that says they won't use my equipment and do side jobs with it or something along those lines...