1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Non-Compete's

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by heygrassman, Sep 7, 2002.

1. heygrassman

heygrassman LawnSite Senior Member

Interesting thought on non-compete agreements. More for the memory banks than anything...

I have a friend that is an attorney and we got to talking about non-compete agreements. If you have an employee that is not bound to a non-compete and you are going to request he/she sign one, there is precedence that if you do not in some way change the employment relationship (change in title, bonus, raise, etc.) at the time that you request the non-compete be signed that the agreement is not binding. New employee's are not an issue unless they do not sign it prior to starting work. This is impacting an existing employee.

She is most familiar with Florida and Illinois but also believes that this is precedence in most states..

More interesting than anything I guess..

2. dforbes

dforbes LawnSite Member

Thanks for the info. I did not realize this. Will be asking my attorney.
    Dennis

3. John Allin

John Allin LawnSite Bronze Member

That is the exact reason that we pay $250 as "consideration" for our managers to sign the non-compete, new or existing employee. It's this payment that is the defining portion of the non-compete, and sets it apart from the normal contractual arrangement.

We have a labor lawyer who wrote ours and has enforced others exactly like it. They DO work, if set up properly.

We have two of them on the CD that is sold with the "Managing Snow and Ice' book. The ones on the CD can be manipulated for your needs.