non contract customers

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by the ace, Mar 22, 2005.

1. the ace

the ace LawnSite Member
    from usa

I was wondering how everyone handles customers who do not sign a season contract and just call as they think they need mowing? Do these customers get done only after contracted customers? Do these customers pay any more per cut? I had a man call about his elderly fathers lawn but only wanted to be cut when he thought it needed it, my concern is this man will only be calling when the grass is out of control trying to save himself a few dollars. Any suggestions or anyone who has run in to this situation your advise would be most helpful!

Time to make some dough! :D

2. wally world III

wally world III LawnSite Member

this is a problem customer period.......

why waste your time.............

3. aries

aries LawnSite Senior Member
    from nj

I would also stay away! unless you can work some type of schedule out.

4. westwind

westwind LawnSite Senior Member

no contract, no service. :rolleyes:

5. The LawnSmith

The LawnSmith LawnSite Member

Sounds like a lady I had a couple years ago. Thought she could get by with about 5 cuts a year. Forget it

6. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

you don't want a situation like this. It will get messy!

7. green thum

green thum LawnSite Member

:cool2: I have several(5)of my residential accounts who are not on contracts and i have it set up with them that i come by every 10 days to cut
    and unless i hear otherwise i will be there.

8. YardPro

YardPro LawnSite Gold Member

almost none of our residental accounts are on contract. we begin mowing when they need to be mowed, we mow most weekly, but some are every 2 weeks. and we will not stop until the grass quits growing. NO exceptions. If they don't want to keep thier yard looking nice, then they can find someone else.

9. LawnScapers of Dayton

LawnScapers of Dayton LawnSite Silver Member
    Male, from Dayton, OH

I dropped all of my non-weekly customers last season. Just a pain to mess with....and I would rather have weekly's anyway.

Derek

10. AEW

AEW LawnSite Member

Same here....they know we are reliable and get the job done. And again...NO EXCEPTIONS.