1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Non-Detergent in the Hydro Tanks

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by fastballbaker, Feb 20, 2006.

1. fastballbaker

fastballbaker LawnSite Member
    from TN

Sorry, I didn't word it right in the last post.

I have a snapper z rider. My dealer told me to use non-detergent SAE30 motor oil in the hydro tanks. I thought one would use hydro fluild in the hydro tank and pumps. Is there a difference between the non-detergent motor oil and regular hydro fluid? Or is it the same since it is non-detergent?

Thanks again...
  2. lawnmaniac883

lawnmaniac883 LawnSite Silver Member

oook that is a little clearer. Not sure what hydros your unit has, but my gravely has hydro gear pumps/wheel motors and I use mobil 1 15w50 syn per the dealer and the owners manual.

Using motor oil in the hydro tanks is regular practice. Hydro fluid is too thick for this application.
  3. fastballbaker

fastballbaker LawnSite Member
    from TN

So you are saying it is OK to use non-detergent motor oil in the hydraulic oil reservoirs? thanks
  4. Jpocket

Jpocket LawnSite Silver Member

Just use what the manufacture recomends and be done w/it
  5. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

If your mower has seperate wheel motors and pumps then your mower should use 20w50. You can go to the Snapper Pro website and download the Operators Manual for your particular mower. Everything you need to know is in the manual.

I would NOT put straight 30 non detergent in it unless Snapper themselves (the factory, not the dealer) tells you it is safe to do so.

6. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

I never heard of running ND30 in a hydro. system before, All systems I've been around always ran high detergent 20w-50 engine oil. Hydro Gear States to run 20w-50 in their hydro. pumps anything else could cause pre-mature seal failures.
    If you have any doubts about the proper oil you can contact Hydro Gear directly here ; http://www.hydro-gear.com/Contact/

Since I made this same post in your other thread I called a local Snapper Dealer since we gave them up 10 yrs. ago and they confirmed what I posted ONLY run 20w-50 high detergent engine oil in their Hydro Systems.
  7. lawnmaniac883

lawnmaniac883 LawnSite Silver Member

In that case, I wonder if the dealer put a nice fill of 30wND oil in their?
  8. CutInEdge Lawn Care

CutInEdge Lawn Care LawnSite Senior Member

Maybe he is counting on the repeat business???? Failure = more $$$$$ in his pocket
  9. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

That was my first thought soon as I read the first thread. :dizzy:
  10. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

Wait a minute!
    We are talking about a late model Snapper Z-Rider aren't we?
    The ones with the metal body work over the tires instead of plastic fuel tanks?
    Sorta look like red Grasshopper mid-mounts?

IF so, the hydros are different on those.
    They probably do use SAE30.

Go here.... http://www.snapperpro.com/#
    Your mower don't look like that right?
    Click on the tech support tab.
    This will bring up a dropdown menu window you can use.
    Select operator in the manual section.
    Then select your model number.

That's probably MZM2300KH or ZM####KH