non grease able bearings--going bad

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing Equipment' started by williams lcm, Aug 2, 2013.

1. mag360

mag360 LawnSite Silver Member

Another user, Tacoma, had one that hustler bought back a few years ago. He went to a scag turf tiger and never looked back.

Our 2010 model has been ok but we did have the cracked muffler and a few throttle and choke cables break on the big Kawi.

2. ProStreetCamaro

ProStreetCamaro LawnSite Platinum Member

So they are not the ultimate mower puppy makes them out to be? Who would have ever thought. Btw I am just teasing you puppy. I remember all of those threads very well. What ever happened to envy lawn service? He was die hard lesco z two and cub tank.

3. Ridin' Green

Ridin' Green LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Michigan

For that matter, what ever happened to Tacoma? He put up some good posts with great info quite often. He seemed very straight forward and honest too.

4. gene gls

gene gls LawnSite Gold Member

Your mower was newer than mine. I had a 2002 with a 25 HP Kawi. I wished I had a Kohler.

5. gene gls

There are a few old timers that don't post any more.

6. puppypaws

puppypaws LawnSite Fanatic

There are problems with all mowers, some are talked about in LS, some are not. There has never been a mower manufactured that has not given problems, and the thing about it, they can come off the assembly line back to back, one good, and one bad.

Not very many participate in LS, many read but never give their experiences, you would hear about problems with all mowers if more would speak up instead of only reading. Each one that actually participates in LS if operating any mower has seen problems.

I've had problems with Hustler Super Z's, out of the 5 I've owned 1 pan gasket was replaced, and 1 hydro pump failed. I've never seen any of these small aggravating problems such as clutch wires giving problems, engine deck plates cracking, mufflers cracking, cut quality issues, pulleys, springs, or problems with clutch jumper wires. I wouldn't own a mower the next week if it gave me these type problems, I've gotten too old to put up with aggravation.

I will also reiterate, there has never been one brand of mower manufactured that has never shipped a mower of inferior quality, and if more would speak up on LS, you could read about these problems.

7. gene gls

You have the perfect area for mowing, flat and open. You will never have the problems that some of us have had because you only mow a few hours a week.

8. aroddy

aroddy LawnSite Senior Member

as far as the 3100Z goes....there has been a spot on the caster where you are able to install a grease zerk yourself. The only negative to that is that gung ho grease guys always put to much grease in there and it blows the seals out. Thats why Ferris advises that once a year you should pull the castor out, clean the cavity and the bearings, then pack it full of grease and then put it all back together

9. gene gls

Any mower that doesn't have a rubber boot over the caster housing to protect it from water, should have that service done.

10. puppypaws

puppypaws LawnSite Fanatic

No matter if you put 10 hrs. or 30 hrs. per week on a mower, problems will eventually show up, and together I've put 2500 hrs.+ on Super Z mowers without seeing any of the structural problems of cracks or mufflers falling off, no electrical problems of any type, no wiring problems of any type, never had a clutch fail or give any problem. The first down time I ever had was due to a pan gasket seeping, of which most people would have continued to run because of it being so minor.

I'm the type person that will not own a piece of any type machinery that is not mechanically perfect, so to say I own and operate Hustler Super Z mowers is a very strong testimony to the machine, or at least to the ones I've owned.

I can understand some, such as yourself have not been that fortunate, and if you get one that puts a bad taste in your mouth, you will probably look for another brand to own and operate, I know I would.