non grease able bearings--going bad

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing Equipment' started by williams lcm, Aug 2, 2013.

1. mag360

mag360 LawnSite Silver Member

How many hours on the old 28/66 now?

I think we have about 1400 on our 31/60 and the hydros are still good

2. MJB

MJB LawnSite Silver Member
    from Wa

If Hustler would of had a deck that cut clean up here, and if they had changed the wheel motors I might of traded it in on another super z but that was not the case. Plus downtime cost us our livlihood ? I think we put a lot more heat cycles in our mowers each day than you , causing weak points to show up in less hrs than yours. The heat under my super z was intense with the 30 kohler bad design on the heat from the exhaust weep holes, literally melted the pigtail where it plugged into the clutch.

3. puppypaws

puppypaws LawnSite Fanatic

That is a good number but you have the heavier style wheel motors whereas I was running the old style wheel motors. My dealer told me from all the hydraulic components he had replaced on Super Z's, the old style was good for about 1200 hrs., some went a little longer some a little less. I had one side go down at 1200, so I replaced everything on both sides with the new style. I changed both pumps and wheel motors to make sure no more problems occurred.

How many hours do you put on your 31/60 per year, I would be interested in knowing how long your hydraulics hold up?

4. mag360

mag360 LawnSite Silver Member

600-700 hrs per year but it has been replaced with the gravely 272 and is just waiting now for fall when we'll either sell it or use it as a dedicated leaf machine. The leaf vac on the xr7 decks is the nicest I've ever had the pleasure of owning and it will be hard to part with it.

I'm pleasantly surprised that the wheel motors have held up since we have a lot of steep terrain here. I think one thing that helps is that running slower on the steep stuff, for safety's sale, has minimized wear - even though our properties look like hydro killers.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2013
  5. puppypaws

puppypaws LawnSite Fanatic

Why not keep it for leaf removal, with the newer style wheel motors your hydraulics may hang in there for several years if only using it for leaves.