1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Non/late payers

Discussion in 'Florida Lawn Care Forum' started by minx, Mar 31, 2013.

1. Greg78

Greg78 LawnSite Silver Member

Right and as I was saying you CAN'T LEGALLY lien a property in FL for landscaping "services" just the same as PA.

He might have gotten away with filing the liens but they weren't valid.

2. HappyDaysLawnCare

HappyDaysLawnCare LawnSite Member

I bill the 1st of month of service (unless it's by the cut, that is at month end - due by 15th), due at the end of the month. I do have a couple of known stragglers, so I nudge them by showing the month past due and current month, hoping they realize how it effects me paying MY expenses. It's not billing in arrears and I'm not sure if I should consider it advance billing, so I made up my own "current month billing", it's worked for me for the past year, the last 11 years have been arrears and this is easier for some reason.

3. HappyDaysLawnCare

Some I know have THREATENED liens and were paid for their work, I have only had two, but sent both a certified collection letter, with their property's parcel id (through the county website) and advised if I am not paid within 10 days of receipt of said letter, I will have no choice but submit a claim through small claims court. Yes, that would cost me, IF they didn't pay (they both paid), and if I were awarded in court, they would be responsible to pay court costs as well. We work hard and should be paid for our services rendered!

4. Greg78

See the way our billing works we don't have to chase money or worry about small claims court, threatening liens or lawsuits. I like it that way.

5. fl-landscapes

fl-landscapes LawnSite Silver Member

Whether its legal according to the regulations or not I'm not going to debate. But I can tell you I have not only put liens on properties for unpaid maintenance work, I had a bank call me a year and half after one I forgot about....they needed me to come pick up my check and sign off on the lien because they couldn't close the loan unless I did.

6. Greg78

More than likely cheaper to pay it than fight it. Either way it's a moot point for me as I don't have to deal with it.
    Posted via Mobile Device

7. LGL

LGL LawnSite Member

Posted via Mobile Device

8. LGL

LGL LawnSite Member

Hey Happy Days, do you service Clay County?
    Posted via Mobile Device

9. HappyDaysLawnCare

Charlotte County - sorry!!

10. loxs44

loxs44 LawnSite Member

I'm slowly branching away from my dad's business, and i have people pay either the 1st of the month for entire month or have them pay per cut, text or call day before i go, leave it somewhere, if they aren't home, and then go from there, if they want monthly service, give monthly price, some want to pay and be done til 1st and others will just leave it or give as see you when 2nd cut.