Non Payers - door to door collecting

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by scooterdayton, May 1, 2009.

1. scooterdayton

scooterdayton LawnSite Member
    from MN

Non Paying Client:

so is it legal to go beet on somebodys door and stay there untill you get paid and refuse to leave without the money?
    i heard it was ok, as long as you were the business owner and they directly owed you money.

2. PROCUT1

PROCUT1 LawnSite Platinum Member
    from TN

You can stay there until they tell you to leave whether they pay you or not.

Once they tell you to leave, then you have to.

3. old oak lawn

old oak lawn LawnSite Senior Member

I would not refuse to leave but i would and have gone to the door and when they opened it i hand then a bill and say we need to take care of this. Only a few times but if they tell you to leave i am sure you have to.

4. TXNSLighting

TXNSLighting LawnSite Fanatic
    from DFW, TX

Go do it, but like others. If they say leave. Be on your way. Ive had to do this and its not fun. But they need to take you seriously.

5. supercuts

supercuts LawnSite Silver Member

most are affraid of confrontation and will pay when approached. works for me. agreed leave if they ask, if you dont your tresspassing

6. scooterdayton

scooterdayton LawnSite Member
    from MN

thanks guys for your imput,
    ha funny, but our family owned towing company ended up towing the guys car for DWI, then he didnt come get it for 3 months, $2500 storage fee, wouldnt pay it.
    so we sent in for title.
    now we own his car, and i sent a letter to the power of attorney of his estate and he paid me. ha funny how things come back to ya

7. howierd3866

howierd3866 LawnSite Senior Member

in Fla we have to hold the car for 37 days before we can sell it. By then we do have the title and we can sell it. But the good news is the person can never put any car in his/her name until the bill is taken care of. Would be nice if we could that on all types of bussiness.

8. AI Inc

AI Inc LawnSite Fanatic

When on private property , once someone tells you to leave, if you dont , you are tresspassing.

9. Client Critic

Client Critic LawnSite Member

I think it is all in your approach as well. You can go by the place and when they open the door, greet them very friendly. Explain to them the service you offered and that there was an outstanding balance. Tell them how much the balance is and that you are willing to work with them (maybe installments or something.)

Of course if all else fails, it may be loss of money so you can post them on our site to help other business owners out! :)

10. Woody82986

Woody82986 LawnSite Silver Member
    from DFW, TX

I do agree with Critic that the best way to approach it if you feel like you should go to their home to talk with them, is to be polite about the situation. Starting off in a confrontational tone won't help matters much.